Opinions & advise on a lift kit idea

In a nut shell I'm a fabricator/mechanic/body guy :wrench: . I've never lifted a suspension, but I've lowered them(Yes, I'm a mini trucker as well as a MJ lover comanche.gif . Odd combo huh?) But I've been looking into lift kits and ive noticed that the front end is basically a four-link set up with coil springs, add taller stronger springs and extend the four-link bars(steering linkage, break lines,etc) and you have lift. For the rear its add taller stronger leafsprings and you get lift. here's my thought, why not four-link the rear end,fabricate coil spring pearches, and add some tall strong springs? It wouldn't be any different than the front, would it?. It's the same basic idea used to make mini's go up and down, remove springs and add airbags or hydrolics. So everyone, feel free to leave you advise, comments, dirty name calling, whatever you want. Like I said, never lifted but I don't see why it wouldn't work. before anyone says it, geometry and fabrication are not going to be a problem for me. Lets see what we can get going shall we? jamminz.gif :cheers:

It's been done but it's not as common as a regular lifted manche because you would need a rear trackbar, right? And I'm not too sure anybody would drive it on the street without a swaybar in the rear either... If you need to figure out the angles you can use Microsoft excel, they already have some platforms to start from on google if you look hard enough. Also alot of people have a don't fix what's not broken mindset :nuts:

if you put the say bar in that would just limit your travel wouldnt it? I thought it was common just to take that off if your using it for a wheeler......

Some people do remove them,most people get quick disconnect links. That way you have the sway bar on the road but you can disable it off road

I'm not really looking for more flexability, just a cheap up option for myself. Why pay someone else to design and build a kit for me when i can not only do it cheaper but at the same time have a custom one off lift kit? Believe it or not,but I like to stand out and I'd like my rides to stand out as well. So less load capasity in the bed, huh? Anything else? Bouncier ride? Stiffer ride? I don't wanna drive my baby down the road and feel like I'm back in my trash truck on a dirt road. Or lean really hard when I turn like I'm on one of those animal on a spring things at the playground. Now that I know it's definately do-able, whats the pro's and con's? :cheers:

Linking the rear vs SOA:

Links +'s:

no wheel hop (if built right)

easy to adjust height (if using common springs)

extra flex (maybe)

you don't have to rebuild/replace leafs every few years from overflexing them

you could chop the frame off behind the axle if you wanted to

easy to upgrade to coil overs

Link -'s

cost

possible load capacity

possible stability

adds complexity

more stuff to break

Leafs +'s:

stability

biggest factor for me, I like the 'type' of stability I get with ft coils/rear leafs.

Hard to explain, but I am more comfortable wheeling when the body angle tends to follow the (more stable) rear axle's angle.

Cheap (SOA can be just about free)

Flexy

even though the leafs tend to resist flexing more than the ft coils, and force the coils to do more of the work,

SOA MJ leafs flex like crazy when you get it twisted up.

I almost never lift a rear tire.

Leaf -'s

When really working MJ leafs, expect them to go flat.

I used to carry the kitchen sink when wheeling (since there's room), but after rebuilding the packs every year, or so, I started to travel lighter, and leave the extra's back at camp.

Wheelhop, especially when SOA.

SOA on flexy springs = wheelhop if you get on it too much.

I've only had it hurt me a few times, full throttle in deep stick mud can give you problems.

Tho most of the time it hasn't been an issue for me.

Leafs can break too

Worse break over angle than links

I'm not really looking for more flexability, just a cheap up option for myself. Why pay someone else to design and build a kit for me when i can not only do it cheaper but at the same time have a custom one off lift kit? Believe it or not,but I like to stand out and I'd like my rides to stand out as well. So less load capasity in the bed, huh? Anything else? Bouncier ride? Stiffer ride? I don't wanna drive my baby down the road and feel like I'm back in my trash truck on a dirt road. Or lean really hard when I turn like I'm on one of those animal on a spring things at the playground. Now that I know it's definately do-able, whats the pro's and con's? :cheers:

If you want a cheap lift, you do springs. Your 4-link idea can't be cheaper or easier than just changing the spings and mounting them over the axle rather than under. How much lift are you looking for?

Cons? Bouncier ride. Worse sway control on corners -- you WILL need a sway bar, and you will almost certainly need a track bar. You'll also be charting new territory regarding spring height/length and rate. The first pair of coils you put in are virtually guaranteed not to be the right ones for whatever you hope to end up with.