Smoke coming from exhaust pipe...

I turn my truck on and I look back in my mirror and I can see some white smoke coming from it, I'm pretty sure it means burning oil, but I want to know how to stop it, because it didn't used to do that 2 weeks ago. Also, condensation is coming from it too, when I go up a hill, liquid comes out (not oil).

Just need some opinions.

Thanks.

Is it just at startup, or all the time while running? Some white steam is normal for the first few minutes of operation, especially if it's cold. Water condenses in the exhaust, and once the engine gets warmer, it starts boiling off.

Sorry if that's too obvious of an answer.

It's ok, everything helps and you learn something new everyday.. I drove it around my block maybe 2 minutes and it was still smoking when I got in my driveway. So I guess you would say it does it all the time. I kept it on the other day for 5-10 minutes and it did then also (smoke and water).

So, does it still smoke after driving for, say, half an hour?

Generally, white smoke = burning water/coolant''[1]'', blue smoke = burning oil, and black smoke = burning gas/running rich.

[1]please add one more if you have power brakes -the brake master [brake fluid ]is leaking to vacuum booster

Thanks guys. I'm going to go out later tonight or tomorrow afternoon and hold my hand infront of the exhaust pipe and then smell my hand see if I smell burned oil. If it is burning oil That could be bad piston rings or bad valves correct?

If it coolant, that could be a cracked block correct?

Thanks guys. I'm going to go out later tonight or tomorrow afternoon and hold my hand infront of the exhaust pipe and then smell my hand see if I smell burned oil. If it is burning oil That could be bad piston rings or bad valves correct?

If it coolant, that could be a cracked block correct?

Possible. - but unlikely. If you're burning coolant, I would first look at the head gasket, then the head before blaming the block.

Take the radiator cap off (when its cool) and see if you have water in it. Appears your burning water & anti-freeze from your narrative of things. Usually white smoke is anti-freeze burning off. Especially if it does it all the time.

I have a picture of my hand, it doesn't smell like oil at all... Be aware my hands are greasy in this picture.. I got out of school and washed my hands but they are still greasy/black..

Picture of the smoke, I held a flashlight near the smoke so you could see..

That is how the smoke is all the time it is running... If I accelerate, it just comes out much more..

Thanks

I'm going to go out later tonight or tomorrow afternoon and hold my hand in front of the exhaust pipe and then smell my hand

My preferred method for exploration...instead of just sticking your face down there.

:cheers:

I emailed my grandfather and that is what he told me to do, he does with almost every car he buys.

definitely looks like coolant residue, i'd start by checking compression on all 6 to see if theres an obvious problem

also open the radiator cap/pressure bottle (whichever you have) and smell, if its really nasty smelling you likely have a failed headgasket.

any decent shop should be able to do a block test on it its a non-invasive 5 minute job you just start the vehicle remove rad cap and suck air through a special fluid that changes color to indicate the presence of hydrocarbons in the coolant which means exhaust is in your cooling system basically.

Ok thanks. I will try and get a compression test soon. What will I needtobreathe do to take head off of my 2.5? Do I need to take rocker arms and valve stems out?

its got to be about the easiest cylinder head ever, don't have to mess with timing, distributor or anything, you'll pull the rockers and rods (don't know if you absolutely have to but i did on my 4.0L) just make sure to lie them in a pattern so you put them back in the same hole (don't know if thats necessary but it seems like they should go back where they came from)

other than that get the head to a machine shop and have it checked out/decked, you could also have them do valve stem seals if you wanted.

edit: make sure to use paper products and not cotton when touching engine parts, the cotton fibers can collect in the oil pickup screen paper won't

If I take the head to a machine shop and have it decked.. Will I have to get new valves if they put new valve seats in?

Thanks for the help so far.. I've gotten some info like torque specs and all at school. Hopefully it should be an easy job.

On the 4.0 you do NOT have to remove the rockers. Just the pushrods. Its pretty easy to remove the head. If you've got a little experience turning wrenches you should be able to have it off in an hour or two.

I would first do what they say above about taking the radiator cap off cold, starting the engine, and looking for bubbles. Also changing the oil should tell you a good deal about whether waters getting in there.

If you go to a machine shop they will steer you correctly in what needs to be done. Just so you know you won't be pulling out any valves yourself. Just take it in there and have then check the head for cracks and flatness, and then lapp valves and do stem seals.

Well if you took off the radiator cap, started the engine, and it shot out...then you need a new head gasket or head!!! Luckyyyyy youuuuuu :headpop: :fs1:

Don't fret, if you haven't driven it too much then the bottom end is probably find and a fresh head will give you a good power boost from what you're used to.

have you pulled the engine oil dipstick to check for water? the oil will look like a milkshake if its mixing oil/water,

sometimes a full engine slightly overflows coolant with the cap off so that MIIGHT be no big deal or might be evidence of a slight headgasket...

how you coming on that compression test?