school me on coil sprung 2wd axles

i know alot about leafs and soa cause i have a yj... but I'm thinkin of liftin my 2wd mj cause i hate the feeling like I'm sitting on the ground!!

so i was thinkin of doin soa in the rear with longer shackles, ext. brake lines, shocks and a traction bar, i already have a d35 :evil: with 4.10s setup soa for it...

the real question is, I'm thinkin of putting 5.5" coils in the front on the 2wd axle, what kinda problems am i gonna run into? does it need histeer? does it need longer control arms, if so am i better off getting 3.5" springs and doin a spacer? I'm sure its gonna need a drop pitman arm, longer brake lines and shocks, kinda obvious.. I'm hopin to run the 33s on my yj and this jeep isnt gonna see any offroad abuse :roll: so they should fit i hope

i searched a lil bit on naxja and couldnt really find my answer, so any help would be appreciated.

At 5.5 you'll need a track bar, UCAs and LCAs, and drop brackets or long arms if you care about ride. The steering should be okay, a drop pitman arm might be an idea. A ZJ will yeild one. Yes, shocks and brake lines too. Might need a steering box brace too, even if you don't wheel it.

I don't see why you'd use the smaller coil and a spacer instead, pretty much going to have the same issues. Unless you mean rear springs, in which case, yes that'd be easier.

And if you SOA with longer shackles, you're going to be looking at 7" of lift.

i feel like a douche for never responding to this post so..

pete, i was gonna do the 33s cause i can just use the ones from my yj and go bigger on that come spring. not too worried about gearing cause its a worktruck/winterbeater so it wouldnt see too much if any offroad abuse besides being on a construction site. just want to lift it cause I'm tired of not bein able to see down the girls shirts that I'm drivin next to :D feels like I'm in a lowrider.

dirtycomanche, i know the @$$ end would stick up higher, which might be a good thing for me cause i haul alot of building supplies (concrete, sand, drywall, plywood) and a trailer around occasionally for work so it would level out in my mind at least. thanks for the list of stuff id need, i think I'm gonna start collectin parts to get this done.

I'd not use the longer shackles if you haul crap. Well, you could, but...

Find a nice donor leaf pack, another MJ would be best. Just make sure it has enough arch and enough length. Take out the main leaf, cut the eyes and shackles off. Insert under your main leaf, reassemble your pack, and enjoy. It'll give you some lift (haven't a clue how much) but it'll stiffen your springs up a bit, which is a good idea regardless. It'll also help prevent hosing your springs if you back up a rock or something...

But if you like shackles, buy shackles! It's your truck.

If you plan on using this as a work truck it won't last very long. The MJ is a light duty truck. made to haul a maximum of 750 pounds. not much when you think the driver weighs around 200. BTW long shackles will wear out your springs faster if you haul stuff.

Patrick

i changed my mind again i think, found some 3" lift coils and shocks for all 4 corners for $25 so i picked em up, how do i go about liftin the rear 3" AAL since they don't make a 3" pack?

pingpong- i think its maxed out already then, 600lbs of quikrete in the bed, bedfull of snow... my old 80s s10 was a horse, kicked some balls pullin and deliverin stuff in the bed, kinda miss it.. pretty sure the mj is more capable tho.

ill scratch the idea on the shackles, thanks for the ideas guys.

Find a nice donor leaf pack, another MJ would be best. Just make sure it has enough arch and enough length. Take out the main leaf, cut the eyes and shackles off. Insert under your main leaf, reassemble your pack, and enjoy. It'll give you some lift (haven't a clue how much) but it'll stiffen your springs up a bit, which is a good idea regardless. It'll also help prevent hosing your springs if you back up a rock or something...

Realistically, you can expect about 2" from this. But, ya never know, try it and see.

Rusty's makes a AAL, I think. It'll suck.

If you plan on using this as a work truck it won't last very long. The MJ is a light duty truck. made to haul a maximum of 750 pounds. not much when you think the driver weighs around 200. BTW long shackles will wear out your springs faster if you haul stuff.

HUH?????

The Metric Ton version, with a Dana 44 axle and heavier springs but using the same chassis, is rated to carry 2,200 pounds of payload. Not sure what the rating was oin the standard version, and I'm not at home to check my literature, but I'm sure it's a LOT more than 750 pounds including driver.

Heck, I've carried over a ton of roofing materials in my shortbed.

Back to the original question -- my '88 MJ had a 4" lift already installed when I bought it. I hated it. Ride quality was atrocious, the height was just perfect for breaking down the outside corner of the driver's seat every time I got in or out, ...

I drove it like that for a couple or three years. Finally got around to putting it back to stock just about a year ago, and it was the single best improvement I've made to the truck. Rides better, handles better, looks better. What's not to like?

You can run 30" and even 31" tires on a STOCK MJ. If you don't plan to off-road it, 30's should be perfect.