86 2.5l is the same as the 87 .....?

It is a direct bolt-in but there are some differences between the '86 2.5 and the '87-'90. '86 used V-belts and '87+ used a serpentine belt. Alternator, P/S, etc are different. The oil filters are different as well. My '87 had an engine from an '86 transplanted by a PO.

The 1986 2.5L could have either V-belts or a Serpentine belt.

I have a 91 yj with a 2.5, and a 89 comanche with a 4.0, and I just love the power of the six compared to the four. I don't keep track of fuel mileage very close, but I know the 2.5 only gets 13 mpg on the highway because I never use 5th gear, it won't pull it with 31 in tires. I guess the only reason I would like to keep the 2.5 is because all my other drivetrain parts are good, and being my DD I want to keep it simple. I'm 600 miles away from 200,000!

I have a 91 yj with a 2.5, and a 89 comanche with a 4.0, and I just love the power of the six compared to the four. I don't keep track of fuel mileage very close, but I know the 2.5 only gets 13 mpg on the highway because I never use 5th gear, it won't pull it with 31 in tires. I guess the only reason I would like to keep the 2.5 is because all my other drivetrain parts are good, and being my DD I want to keep it simple. I'm 600 miles away from 200,000!

That's not even close to a fair comparison. My 89 MJ with 2.5 walks all over my brothers 95 YJ with 2.5

Ive seen complete dawgs of an engine 2.5's and Ive owned really good running 2.5's! There a toss up. Id rather have the multi port, way better response and more power over the sluggish TBI. Aww and too answer the question the long blocks are the same so you would have to use the wrangler intake but all in all a complete bolt in! good luck , post some pics