storing tires/wheels question

mjeff87

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what's the best way to store tires? Keep them mounted and aired up, dismount them, treat them with anything special? Reason I ask is well, I store tires :) For my other car, I pick up new tires already mounted on wheels from the junkyard (for $11/ea) when I see them, and stash them under the house until I need them. I've got a set of 4 new Michelins I pulled last month, and I won't be needing to put them on until June (inspection time) Plus, I'm picking up a set of new snow tires this weekend that I got mounted on a spare set of steel MJ wheels, that I may use only a couple times down here in VA this "winter"...they'll be plenty good to use for a couple more seasons too. What do y'all recommend (or does it matter much anyways?)

TIA,

Jeff

I would think that keeping them stored in a dry, out of the elements place would suffice. From what i see in the boneyards, you can tell which ones are left out, rusted rims, UV affected tires, etc. The ones kept inside are'nt as rusty or cracked and faded. Just my $.02 8)

I built a rack in the attic of my garage for tires. Just a simple V made of 2x4's and I do the same as you. I pick up good ones, when I am already out. It certainly helps that all five of our vehicles are on the same size tires.

just don't store them vertical, you'll end up with flat spots.

Depending on how they are stored that doesn't happen. If you support their weight on more than one point, or suspend them with a rod of some type in the middle.

just don't store them vertical, you'll end up with flat spots.

Depending on how they are stored that doesn't happen. If you support their weight on more than one point, or suspend them with a rod of some type in the middle.

I should have been clearer.

Don't store them on the ground vertically. I've seen many people just line the summer tires along the side of the garage, standing up, supporting their own weight.

Well, thanks to my wife we have a house with no basement, or garage (it's a long story.... :evil: ) but I do have a decent crawl space under the house, where I store all my Jeep junk. It's nice and dark, cool, and dry, so that's where I've been keeping them, mounted and aired up and stacked flat on top of each other.

Someday, when I'm not poor, I'll have my dream garage to keep stuff in.

Thanks all!

Jeff