No spark...

Hello all,

Last summer I was driving my truck (MJ) through my yard and the field behind my house, something kept shorting out (I think) the engine would die and i'd have to start it up again and again. Then finially it stoped and it will not start back up. The engine cranks over but I don't think i'm getting any spark. Does anyone know what causes this?

Thanks for any help,

Matt

• 10 months later...
Sorry

1987 2.5L 4x4 shortbed auto , I don't kno if it has a c101?

i THINK he's talkin about the connector from the CPS to the harness... try electrical contact cleaner in there and a good shaking. (oh and make sure to plug it back in ;) )

other than that, have you checked the dist?

Sorry

1987 2.5L 4x4 shortbed auto , I don't kno if it has a c101?

i THINK he's talkin about the connector from the CPS to the harness... try electrical contact cleaner in there and a good shaking. (oh and make sure to plug it back in

No, he's not. The C101 connector is located high on the firewall, above the brake booster vacuum reservoir. The entire engine harness goes into it before going through the firewall to the ECU.

There is a known problem with the early Renix ('86 thru mid-89) harness losing the CPS signal. Jeep sells a replacement CPS that comes with a 2-wire harness. You abandon the stock harness, drill a hole through the firewall for the new harness, and run the two wires directly to the ECU.

That may or may not correct the problem. It always has for me in the past. However, the curremt no spark with the '88 MJ that isn't the problem. The new CPS is only generating 0.23 volts and it should be generating 0.5 to 0.8 volts. But the dealership won't acknowledge that there's anything wrong with the part, so I'm sort of, errr ... screwed.

I've zipped tied these connections in the past with good results. the down side is when change trannies or clutches and in my case went from puke joe to ax-15 internal slave to external slave jamminz.gif and have and internal YJ in the garage in vgood condition.