2.1L Diesel reviews

There was another 4-cyl diesel used back in the 60's....

I forgot who it was those, between hitting reply and starting to type this.

thats probably a renault or buick engine, i could be wrong

Neither.... Renault hadn't really made it to the US market to screw it up yet...

It was Perkins.

I'm really stretching my memory here so don't hit me up if I miss something. In 1950 or '51 a implement manufacturing Co in Liberal or Plains Ks acquired 4 Jeep 3/4ton p/u with the goal of installing diesel engines in them. They were meant to be for farm use only, no highway use although they would be hwy legal. The original plan was to use Ford industrial 4cyl engines but that fell through so they switched to Perkins. Unfortunately the backers backed out and they were unable to get funding to continue. Declared bankruptcy and everything went across the auction block. Everything metal went to some scrap dealer. A wheat farmer near Plains told me he knew where one of the trucks was and that it was in everyday use. This was in the fall of 1952. Just for what it's worth. Jim

Neither.... Renault hadn't really made it to the US market to screw it up yet...

It was Perkins.

So what did Renault screw up in the US market???

opsled

It was Perkins.

opsled

Le Car??? Alliance??

Cost AMC AMG.. their most profitable division.

It was Perkins.

opsled

Le Car??? Alliance??

Cost AMC AMG.. their most profitable division.

yeah i remember now, don't get mad tho. the French has always been trying to overrun us :)

Renault first entered the U.S. market in the late 1950's with a small economy car called the Dauphine.

Here is some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Dauphine

It was a disaster and Renault left the U.S. market.

an i wouldnt call it a disaster, it says in wiki that it sold over 100k cars at one year falling to 12k in the mid 60s. i guess America wants something more American lol

When I was in Spain in '59 the Renault Daphine and VW bug was the top two cars being purchased by GI'S. They were darn nice autos, cheap to operate and reliable. We could buy a brand new one $20 cheaper than a Beetle, which was selling for $875 or $890 with ashtray and exterior rearview mirror.

When I was in Spain in '59 the Renault Daphine and VW bug was the top two cars being purchased by GI'S. They were darn nice autos, cheap to operate and reliable. We could buy a brand new one $20 cheaper than a Beetle, which was selling for $875 or $890 with ashtray and exterior rearview mirror.

that much? not too bad.

I also found out the 1966 Shelby Cobras with the 427 S/C would sell for like 5-6k when they came out. Damn i wish my grandpa got one