2.1L Diesel reviews

tried search, JF, and Google. not much came up, so I wanted to hear from y'all, how is it compared to the 2.5L or the 4.0L? stronger pull? reliable? share thoughts :popcorn:

neat little motor. decent power for what it is...but still less than a 4.0.

NOT reliable. NOT an offroad motor. this is something for fuel miser.

my dad is DDing a dying '86 2.1l mj diesel. rusty, cracked head, can't get boost above 5psi.

parts are REALLY HARD to come by. I have a complete new motor for it when I restore it. he has 250xxx miles on it, it's cost him under $2000 to maintain since he bought it 12 years ago for $200. that includes fixing it.

BUT...that's because he's learned how to rebuild the vacuum pumps and starters (starters die once per year and take 3.5 hours to replace).

the transmissions (5 speed are ax5) are 2.1l specific as well. good luck finding them...the input shafts are different.

huh i'd thought ill be better, if its the same as the 4.0L then the 4.0L would be cheaper in general considering difference in fuel types... and tune-ups. the 4.0L in my old ZJ was a great engine, ran powerful, got around 27mpg at best, mostly interstates/freeways(i rarely go over 60)

there's not much difference...all you have to do is drive the 4.0 nicely.

That is so easy to say but very hard to do lol

Brandon

17mpg worst with 35's, 24mpg best.

not that hard. I'm a lead foot. it did have 4.10's, and a torquer cam to reduce the power band down below 2000.

hi guys,

not really a Mj, but I have owned few 2,1 diesel XJs in the past.

The mpg is nice you can easily get about 30 mpg. How ever, the parts are very specific (radiator, starters, alternators, all the intercooler hoses and more) and expensive.

The engine itself it sufficient at best, no pulling, no offroad, no HWY speeding. It likes to overheat, the heads crack, it tends to leak everywhere.

I would not recommend it to anybody here, nor in the US. Keep the 4,0s, I have done the same.

What you save with the diesel at the gas station, you pay in the shop to keep it alive!

I'm the oddball on the club that WANTS the diesel. but, that's also because the one I will get is the first comanche I've ever seen, and one of no more than 30 diesel mj's in the U.S.

lol okay, keep it in good shape though :thumbsup:

lmfao.

how about "make it nice...cause it's not"

I'm the oddball on the club that WANTS the diesel. but, that's also because the one I will get is the first comanche I've ever seen, and one of no more than 30 diesel mj's in the U.S.

lmfao.

ah i aint ever heard what they sound like. when I first got mine I honestly thought it was a diesel. caused it sounded like one, very loud too. the mufflers off tho and the cat is still on.

lmfao.

ah i aint ever heard what they sound like. when I first got mine I honestly thought it was a diesel. caused it sounded like one, very loud too. the mufflers off tho and the cat is still on.

it sounds like a kubota diesel mini trac hoe.

but, it has a tractor muffler, too...

tried search, JF, and Google. not much came up, so I wanted to hear from y'all, how is it compared to the 2.5L or the 4.0L? stronger pull? reliable? share thoughts :popcorn:

You won't find much info anywhere on them anywhere. An obscure, odd little creature that even Renault seems to have forgotten about. They were widly used in both turboed and natural applications but most of them were overseas. They are nothing close to a rocket power wise but they will do a substantial amount of work for a long time if you know how to treat and maintain the animal. I wouldn't call them reliable for the average Joe but the one I have been running now all these years has never failed to wake up and take me where I need to go and has never failed to get me home. It has has had issues but has been kept together with showstrings and bailing wire and has never seen it's true needs attended to although it doesn't seem to care as long as I'm nice to it. 33 mpg back and forth to work with 4:10 gears and 225-75-15 tires is the reward I get (makes me wonder how many times the crank has been around in 252,+++ miles, more than most I would assume). If the head wasn't cracked and I could let it have more boost it would get 37-40 depending on the drive.

Most would call it a POS but if I could buy a new one just like it I would in a heart beat. If you want to be different, it's just the ticket but unless you have enough knowledge to keep it going or have deep pockets and a second vehicle it won't work for you.

As others have said many differences are involved that make a swap impossible without a complete donor vehicle.

Someday (soon) JeepcoMJ will have this one to work his magic on and have himself one of Jeep's rarist birds. (Ok, birds may be a bit poetic. Ducks may be more appropriate.)

opsled

You won't find much info anywhere on them anywhere. An obscure, odd little creature that even Renault seems to have forgotten about. They were widly used in both turboed and natural applications but most of them were overseas. They are nothing close to a rocket power wise but they will do a substantial amount of work for a long time if you know how to treat and maintain the animal. I wouldn't call them reliable for the average Joe but the one I have been running now all these years has never failed to wake up and take me where I need to go and has never failed to get me home. It has has had issues but has been kept together with showstrings and bailing wire and has never seen it's true needs attended to although it doesn't seem to care as long as I'm nice to it. 33 mpg back and forth to work with 4.10 gears and 225-75-15 tires is the reward I get (makes me wonder how many times the crank has been around in 252,+++ miles, more than most I would assume). If the head wasn't cracked and I could let it have more boost it would get 37-40 depending on the drive.

Most would call it a POS but if I could buy a new one just like it I would in a heart beat. If you want to be different, it's just the ticket but unless you have enough knowledge to keep it going or have deep pockets and a second vehicle it won't work for you.

As others have said many differences are involved that make a swap impossible without a complete donor vehicle.

Someday (soon) JeepcoMJ will have this one to work his magic on and have himself one of Jeep's rarist birds. (Ok, birds may be a bit poetic. Ducks may be more appropriate.)

opsled

lol. thanks for posting, pops. let's emphasize the soon part and get something new figured out. I was thinking a pacer would be nice :rotf:

lol. thanks for posting, pops. let's emphasize the soon part and get something new figured out. I was thinking a pacer would be nice :rotf:

Be careful with the Pacer comments. I ain't as good as I once was but..................... and you gotta see me in the AM.

opsled

Be careful with the Pacer comments. I ain't as good as I once was but..................... and you gotta see me in the AM.

opsled

grumble grumble. young whippersnapper and whatnot. lol