advice needed!!

1st post :cheers: HUGE COMANCHE FAN

I have loved the Comanche ever since I was a teenager and my dad let me drive his on the weekends that truck was very very good to us and I have tried to find a 4x4 in decent condition for a long time now without breaking the bank on a restored one-- $5,500+

I have a truck as a weekend vehicle and to do truck stuff in not as a daily driver-

Over the years I have leaned toward Toyota trucks and have had really good luck with them..I currently have a 97 T100 that is good condition, it has 243k on it but drives great..it is going to need some work soon around 250k timing belt, rack and pinion, water pump, tires to name a few..

I came across a guy with an 87 Comanche that wants to trade straight up- decent shape from pics..215k on it..4x4 auto- says it leaks a little oil..

Has just been serviced and drives great. Would be a good fixer upper.. these trucks are so hard to come by n good shape.

My questions are on the 4.0- how reliable are they?? Our truck I talked about was a 2wd that was babied big time and it was so long ago I forget how much work when in to it lasting so long..what trouble spots besides the oil leak and rust should I look for??

Also would I be a moron for making this trade? the value of the 2 are way off but but my reasoning is 2wd vs 4wd, less mileage,

always wanted one, the upcoming cost vs one that has everything- so he says- cost of parts for the jeep would be cheaper as well and like I said it is strickly a weekend truck that I may drive to work ever so often..decisions, decisions. any advice would be apprecieated!!

Welcome to the madness!

The 4.0 is an awesome engine! Basically bulletproof. Been considered one of the best engines ever built. I owned a 94 4x2 cherokee with a 4.0 and after 245,000 not a noise out of the engine with oil changes; no lifter or rod noise at all!

87 is one of the lower horsepower years, but still at 175 (about, I think), good engine, good torque!

But, where you live and how it has been cared for will be a big factor. Comanches like to have the floor boards rust out. Check that out. Didn't see an indication where you live or where you would get the Comanche from, so if you live in an area where chemicals are used on the road for snow and ice, look for rust. The frames have been known to rust bad if not cared for. Comanches have the frame built into the cab, but have an actual frame for the bed, so no space between the cab and the frame. Good places for rust to happen.

I have an 87 4x2 with over 310,000 total but bought it in a no rust area. Still has none because I drive only highway miles and IF I have to drive it here in Missouri when chemicals are on the road, I rinse it off as soon as possible, including underneath, on the back side of the rear bumper, get under the fender flares, squirt ample amounts of water into the frame holes under the front fender well, etc. And, if I spot any surface rust starting, I deal with it.

Again, Welcome!

I wouldn't trade,an 87 comanche can be found cheap.

I would sell the toyota then pay cash for an MJ,then you can put the leftover cash into the MJ.

thats what I am going to do...I just got back from looking at it- it was decent but needed a lot of work, no way it was a fair trade and the guy knew it...So I will sell the T and look for one either restored or one that hasn't been through a war zone..

thanks for the replies I hope to learn all I can from yall.

I am in Georgia so I may get lucky and find some non rusty ones.

the one I looked at today was rusted down there- the owners had never pulled up the carpet!!

I may try find a dealership that has a restored one, I honestly don't know if I have the time needed to bring a bad one back to life- I have 2 girls 1 month old and a year old!!!...I don't know but regardless I am determined to get me a Comanche