need help finding tie rod end

Hello all! I have been a member for a little while now and have always found the answers to my questions by searching the forums or by just reading every line of every post and eventually stumbling upon the answer. I'm stumped!

My Truck:

1990 Jeep Comanche Sport Truck

Engine:

4.0 renault bendix

Tranny:

AX-15 5 speed

Other Info:

Its red and has a bench seat! SWB truck and four wheel drive, dana 44 rear, lifted.

O.k., my problem stems from the fact that my truck is equipped with a Trail Master lift kit with drop brackets and from what I can tell, the steering arm that goes from the pitman arm to the passenger side steering knuckle has been switched out to accept larger than factory tie rod ends. The tie rod end at the pitman arm is in desperate need of replacement and I have ordered the parts for a factory unit, it is TOO SMALL. From searching the tech and DIY forums I have found the part numbers for the TRE that others have used, they match what I have but just will not work. The TRE that I took off has no number that I can find and is about an 1/8th to 3/16ths bigger than the factory part. I have it all taken apart in the shop and would like to be able to get it back on the road. Just wondering how you all would go about replacing this part without knowing anything about it?

I'll get around to setting up a project page for my truck soon as I have the "fever", and basically enjoy this truck! Just in a hurry today and need help! Thanks ahead of time for all of the help that I am sure is to come.

Remove it, go to a "real" auto parts store. NAPA would be a good choice, somewhere with somebody that can do things the old fashion way and look up parts in a catalog. All part #'s show measurements and specifications in the back of the appropriate catalog. Shouldn't be a problem finding a match after getting measurments of your tre with a caliper. I've done that back in my NAPA days. Good luck!

I'm working on posting the pics. In the town I live in, NAPA is all there is, so they will most likely be the "go to" store for most of the random mechanical parts that will be thrown at my truck from here on out.

I visited the local NAPA today and when looking through the parts catalog I came to find out that the TRE listed for my truck (1990) is part number: ES2222L. I have this part. After measuring the one I took off my truck, I found that I need the TRE for the model year 1991. I ordered it and its going to be delivered tomorrow.

I know that these were the transition years from AMC to Chrysler, but with my truck showing a build date of 10/89, I would think that the '91 parts would have been swapped in. I know its hard to tell without pics if its a factory steering setup or not so I'll get to work on the pics.

Could be either. Got the part this morning and it went right on. I aligned the truck and have been driving it around quite a bit this morning, even took it out on the highway. The steering is alot tighter and now it doesn't swerve at all when braking. I'll still post picks so that you all can verify what I do or don't have.

• 2 weeks later...