front axle shaft ujoint question need answer quickly please

i need to replace the joint in my front axle shaft, my question is before i rip it appart is this a press in joint or cn it be just tapped in like the drive shaft joints.. and how do i get the shaft out? do i need to open the pumkin and unblot stuff or does it just slide out when the caliper and stuff are off?

They can just be put in like a normal u-joint.

You don't have to pull the diff to get the shafts out, but I have NEVER been able to pull the shafts and put them back in with the same seals without the seals starting to leak. Not a big deal, but it bothers myself.

To pull the shafts out, take off the wheels, the calipers, the rotors, the hubs, and then they slide right out. The hardest part will be getting the hubs off of the knuckle if they haven't been out in awhile. I sometimes have trouble with the 3 bolts that hold the hub on, but a little heat right on the corner of the flange free's them up for me. To free a stuck hub, some guys have learned a trick where you loosen all the hub bolts, but keep them in, and toss a short 1/2" extension and socket on one of the bolts... Then start the truck and turn the wheel, using the turning force to pinch the extension in the axle/knuckle, and press the hub outward.

Rob L.

If you're crafty enough you can change the joint with the shaft still bolted to the bearing, but it's a pain.

You just gotta figure out which is a bigger pain... changing the joint with the hub on, or getting the hub off...

IN the axle still?

Rob L.

If you're crafty enough you can change the joint with the shaft still bolted to the bearing, but it's a pain.

You just gotta figure out which is a bigger pain... changing the joint with the hub on, or getting the hub off...

IN the axle still?

Rob L.

Oh god no. I mean instead or removing that ginormous nut and getting the bearing off the shaft.

IN the axle still?

Rob L.

Oh god no. I mean instead or removing that ginormous nut and getting the bearing off the shaft.

Oh, ok. Had to clarify... That's never been a problem on my end, but then again, I have all those fancy air tools. 8)

Rob L.

Some people claim you can do it still in the axle, with the unit bearing on. But I can't see having enough room to do it.

I like taking it completely apart to check over everything.. and get rid of the rust, crust and crud....

Lots of never-sieze to put it back together.