msd ignition

does anyone know where i can get a quote or a whole package deal from msd for my Comanche. i looked at their main site all they had was the box and wires. i called summit and all they had was the box for 160-165 and the coil for 35. id like to get the whole thing. box, cap, coil, wires the whole thing. just trying to find a kit for it

Nobody makes a kit because it is compltely unnecessary. The stock system does exactly the same thing, and is set up the same as an MSD system, as all modern engines are. You would only benefit from the MSD system if you were changing from a points system, or were building a buggy or truck from the ground up, and needed an easilly adaptable stand alone high energy ignition, for use with a carburator, or other stand alone fuel injection system. Just make sure your original parts are good, and thats all you need to be equivalent to the MSD system.

well yea they r worthless but they r design to fire 3 time per cycle which 3x spark per cylinder

so you will burn cleaner= better fuel economy and performance.

I have MSD box for sell- $100 OBO. pm me if your interesting

also i remeber some where info that i hear fords oem tend have 2time fire per cycle

edit:

oem tend look like this-one time per cycle

109871_3lo.jpg

MSD 3time per cycle

image001.png

• 3 months later...

I got a cheap used 6A lying around and put it in. I was pleasantly surprised by the results. After cap/rotor/coil/wires/plugs I was still having trouble restarting in the winter, if it was in cold-idle mode just after startup and the engine stalled it would basically be flooded and impossible to start. I threw the 6A on and noticed it starts quicker, idles smoother, and it's more resistant to stalling in the first place; if I do bog it out, it restarts more easily. Maybe it's helped my economy (I added a 6AL to my Camaro LT1 for the superior spark-dropping rev limiter; guys claim 1-2 mpg increase on the highway with these) but I haven't measured.

Would I buy new? No. If I were to buy new, would I get MSD? No. I think the alternatives are pretty impressive at a much cheaper cost, the Summit brand and HiFyre etc digital options look nice and don't have the MSD "pills" to replace. I think you pay a premium just for the name (as far as ignition boxes go; they make other great stuff like the optispark distributor for LT1s that you do get a premium product for)

That being said, I'd sell my 6A for cheap if you're interested! You have to splice into the ignition wiring harness and it's a bit tricky since there isn't much spare room or wiring. All in all though it's less than an hour job, unless you screw something up.