V8 options

Oizarod115

which engine?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. which engine?

• 302 ford
    • 350 chevy
    • 360 AMC

we just finished a putting a fuel injected 302 into a YJ, not the same i know but it works extremely well

we used the AX15, stock jeep axles, jeep t-case

other then the motor mount movement and and a few minor electrical problems everything went nice and easy

dunno if the AMC 360 is anything like the dodge, but if they are i would say no on that one, personal choice though

Good Luck!!

I voted Chevy, because they are everywhere. No matter what problem you have, someone else has had it, whether it's in a Chevy or a Jeep.

I also like the 360 idea, but only because old Dodge trucks and full-size Cherokees can be had for pocket lint, well, $500 pocket lint, while Chevy trucks tend to be $1500+.

yeah, if i went 360 it would be a JEEP 360 just for brand loyalty.

my brother had a 360 grandwaggy so he knows all about the carbuerators on them and all that good stuff. he spent a month making his run right (had sat for 2 years before he bought it)

does anyone know if a 4.0 rad would work with a 360?

EDIT:

scannin through novak a little bit, and it popped into my head that i don't really need 5 speeds considering I'm about to be running 32's or larger on 3.07 gears. 4 speed with granny 1st would be perfect. and i could avoid re-gearing for a long time. aka 465 or something comparable

ive toyed around with doing a v8 when my engine craps out on me, I'm a chevy guy up and down. parts are way cheap and easy to come by, and if you don't buy new and rebuild one yourself you can get about 350hp crank for 1000-1500. just ask my last motor for my camaro. arnt there like 50million small block chevys out in the world or something like that. when in doubt follow the masses.

does anyone know if a 4.0 rad would work with a 360?

I have my doubts. I was using a 4.0 radiator to cool a 4.3 Chevy V6 and it worked okay as long as I was moving. In mild to hot weather, it would start to overheat if I sat in traffic or the truck idled in place for too long. I was only using a single electric fan without a shroud so that was probably part of the problem.

Cooling is always a concern with anything bigger than the 4.0L.

If it was going into my rig I'd get an engine with aluminum heads (or even an aluminum block if I could afford it) to keep the weight down and it MUST have fuel injection. Carbs just ain't my thing.

But then my plans are for a stroker 4.0. Bolts in and makes good power. :D