tightening up front end

Hey guys and gals, I finally have some time this week to work on my manche and want to try to resolve a couple of issues:

First off, she drives straight but there is a lot of play in the steering wheel, could this be the gearbox? steering column? tie rod ends?

Secondly I think some bushings in the front are toast, every time I go up a curb or hit a dip I get some pretty nasty squeeking from the front end. Any ideas? sway bar bushings? Also, any recomendations for bushings? I have an Oreily right across the street and they sell Moog stuff, but I'm wondering if it is cheaper to buy from ebay or somewhere? I'm keeping this truck forever so I want to put a decent product in there.

Thirdly, my wipers work well, but my squirter sometimes works, sometimes doesn't :roll: plus I only have low and high speed. I'm thinking that the stick on the column may be worn out as it is a little loose and acts funny sometimes, can I take one from the junk yard that maybe has intermitten speeds? How much work is it if I put one in that has intermitten speeds/ or just replace the 2 speed one? :dunno:

I also hope to replace the dome light door activator thing, how much work is that little guy going to be? :dunno:

Thanks for the info,

Adam

Thirdly, my wipers work well, but my squirter sometimes works, sometimes doesn't :roll: plus I only have low and high speed. I'm thinking that the stick on the column may be worn out as it is a little loose and acts funny sometimes, can I take one from the junk yard that maybe has intermitten speeds? How much work is it if I put one in that has intermitten speeds/ or just replace the 2 speed one? :dunno: Adam

The first two have been answered, so I'll do the third. :D To convert to delay wipers, you need to:

1) install a wiper delay module inline on the column wiring harness at the base of the column,

2) install a new turn signal stalk w. the delay wiper function, and

3) replace the multifunction switch inside the column. This involves tearing down the column to parade rest. If you haven't done it before, it can be difficult. Easier just replace the whole steering column.

Cool, thanks for the info guys! I'll get my daughter out there tonight to turn it while I'm under there to see if I can figure out where the slack is. I think I am due for a jy run also, so hopefully I can snag a whole new column that has a newer nicer wiper stalk.

Adam

Ok so I narrowed down my squeeking noise to my sway bar, the bushings are shot. Now I'm thinking of replacing the bushings as well as the links but I have seen on here some guys putting in a bigger sway bar out of a Grand Cherokee I belive? Is this a worthwhile mod or is it meant more for beefy trucks with big tires? Mine is a 2 wheel drive and the biggest tires it might see are 31. What do you guys think?

Adam

bigger sway bars are always a good upgrade. :thumbsup: careful with those upper sway bar bolts. they have a tendency to snap off. :( and make sure you get a bigger bar. there were different diameters available on GCs and not all are an upgrade.

It will reduce on-road sway, but will also cause the vehicle to understeer more. It will also stiffen up offroad travel unless you have swaybar disconnects.

There are three or four sizes of swaybar diameter, and there wasn't much rhyme or reason or steadfast rule to what came with what. They all will interchange, as long as you get the bushings that go with that diameter bar.

Sweet! Thanks for the replies. I think my first step is going to be to try to figure out what size sway bar I have on my truck right now. I was checking out the poly bushing kits that teamcherokee sells, it looks nice and is priced fairly well compared to Oreilly, but it doesn't come with new links, just all the bushings. I guess as long as I can get it all apart without breaking anything then I wouldn't really need new links right? I am going to try to make a jy run on Thursday and see if I can find a bigger sway bar!

I also ordered my door ajar switches from teamcherokee, I called the dealer and they said there was only one dealer in the state that had one switch, and it didn't have the rubber surrounds either, it was just the switch, but it is about an hour and a half drive each way, so I just decided to order these ones. Can't wait for them to land!

I'm wondering if my pitman arm needs to be replaced to fix my play in my steering wheel, but I'm still trying to narrow that down.

Adam

I got my swaybar bushings(and all other bushings) from RockAuto, I went with the Moog units and they are pretty nice and easy to change. Unless you bent the endlink or it's rusted to pieces, just go with the bushings only. I usually check RockAuto first for prices since they are pretty good (as long as you can combine all the shipping) for most things, and there are always discount coupons floating around (check www.retailmenot.com or I might have a spare coupon somewhere).