headlight question

I had roughly the same problem. It was the daytime running light module. I don't know if you have one as they were only standard on Canadian trucks, but it would be on the pass inner fender right behind the battery. My lights stayed on all the time regardless of where the switch was. It can just be unplugged but all xj's up to 2001 used the same part if you have/need one. If you don't have DTRL's then you likely have some other wiring problem.

I still say DTRL module. If you have one, that is. Mine seriously did the same thing. Changing the light could have effed up the module when the draw changed with the new light. This is still all assuming you have DTRL's as I haven't heard yet that you don't.

I still say DTRL module. If you have one, that is. Mine seriously did the same thing. Changing the light could have effed up the module when the draw changed with the new light. This is still all assuming you have DTRL's as I haven't heard yet that you don't.

if they are the 2 fuse looking boxes , behind the battery on the fender then yes...their there. they are about an inch squares with wires going into them...i have em

I don't think the DTRL module came on American Jeeps. My family has owned 86, 87, two 88s, 89, 91, 92, 98, and two 99 XJs. Not a single one of them had the headlights come on automatically.

That's true, but I have heard of some xj's having them. It could depend on the factory it was built at. It's just that the symptoms are just like mine were. I wish I had a pic.

I don't think the DTRL module came on American Jeeps. My family has owned 86, 87, two 88s, 89, 91, 92, 98, and two 99 XJs. Not a single one of them had the headlights come on automatically.

That's true, but I have heard of some xj's having them. It could depend on the factory it was built at. It's just that the symptoms are just like mine were. I wish I had a pic.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was standard on Canadian models. If I'm not mistaken, you guys also go the fancy turn signals in the front fenders just above the wheel.

I... don't know. Google is being less than stellar, and my 4.0 HO MJ is 70 miles away, I can't see it till Friday.

I can say it's not in the relay box, which I'm sure you've already figured out. It's probably strapped to the body somewhere all by itself.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was standard on Canadian models. If I'm not mistaken, you guys also go the fancy turn signals in the front fenders just above the wheel.

DTRL's were made standard here in 91 I believe. My 90 has them but my 89 doesn't. I'm not sure about the turn signals though, I don't think all new cars have them in the fender.

Your owners manual should show you what relays are located where.

:thumbsup:

(i wonder how may people even read those things anymore :roll: )

I think the main problem is these things are so old, that most of us don't even have it.

I can't believe I forgot, I was just at the house where my MJs are and I forgot to look. :doh: