Will 4wd ax15 work in a 2wd 4.0?

unless you tear the entire trans apart and swap the 2wd output shaft into the 4wd trans, and use the 2wd output houshing, "no".

that said, were I in your position, i would just install it with a transfercase, shorten the driveshaft, and call it good...then you're halfway to a 4wd swap.

unless you tear the entire trans apart and swap the 2wd output shaft into the 4wd trans, and use the 2wd output houshing, "no".

that said, were I in your position, i would just install it with a transfercase, shorten the driveshaft, and call it good...then you're halfway to a 4wd swap.

So it will drive just fine with a transfer case even though it's 2wd? I have very little know-how of mechanical things and zero of 4wd things, so sorry if my questions are basic in nature.

Given his 4.0 is an 88, I'm assuming he's just upgrading from a pukey.

What year is the AX-15? If it's 92+ You'll need the 74 CJ 304 pilot bushing.

Given his 4.0 is an 88, I'm assuming he's just upgrading from a pukey.

What year is the AX-15? If it's 92+ You'll need the 74 CJ 304 pilot bushing.

The T-case is a 93. I think the guy had it in a XJ but not sure. I really don't know enough about 4wd to ask the right questions. The BA10 is on it's last legs and I will not invest $$ into it. If you could tell me EXACTLY what I need to transition to a NP231 via the easiest/cheapest route, I welcome any and all input. Thanks, Remi.

Ok, now I'm a little confused.

Are you getting a 4wd transmission and T-case, or just the T-case?

A T-case will not bolt up to a 2wd transmission.

Going from a 2wd Pukey to a 4wd AX-15/231, without the full 4wd conversion is simple.

1. Obviously the trans and T-case.

2. If the trans is from a 93, it's probably an external slave. You should be able to use your current clutch line, with maybe a bit of an extension to get it to the slave.

3. In 92 they changed the pilot tip size and the bore size in the crank, so to put 92+ trans behind a 87-91 4.0 you need the 74 CJ 304 pilot bushing.

4. AX-15 crossmember + mount.

5. Shortened rear driveshaft.

That should be it. You don't need any of the linkage stuff to get it to work, since you'll stay in 2wd, but if you can get it... it's not a bad idea to put it in now. This will prevent you from needing to deal with the trans would you decide to go 4wd, and it would give you a 2wd low range option.

Alright, thanks for the details. To be clear, I have a 2wd 88 and do not plan on converting to 4wd at this time. The "good deal" used AX15 is a 4wd w/o the transfer case. I probably will be better off hunting for a 2wd AX15 but if that proves too impossible, then I will have to follow your guidelines on the 4wd version. Thanks for the info.

only difference is the t-case and shortened rear d-shaft. try car-part.com for a t-case. you'll need a 23 spline input t-case, so any 4.0 case after late 89 will work. if you get limited years returned in your search, then bump it up to a later year. you could also go with a 23 spline 242 t-case and have awd available to you later on. :D

don't forget to get the bellhousing with the trans. It may sound like common sense, but I've seen transmissions sold without it and just want to make sure your project goes as smooth as possible. :thumbsup:

Alright, thanks for the details. To be clear, I have a 2wd 88 and do not plan on converting to 4wd at this time. The "good deal" used AX15 is a 4wd w/o the transfer case. I probably will be better off hunting for a 2wd AX15 but if that proves too impossible, then I will have to follow your guidelines on the 4wd version. Thanks for the info.

I would just get a 4x4, and not even worry about finding a 2wd.

Upgrade, not replace.

Rob L.