Where should I even start

Hi guys, ive been lurking for a while, and waiting for the right comanche to come along to buy, but I finally got one! this past weekend i picked up a 1986 with a full plow setup for $600. It has the 2.8 GM engine and it runs great, goes into gear fine and most of it works in general. Its got some body issues (not much rust thankfully) and the interior is in rough shape right now, and I'm not entirely sure where to go with the project. I was hoping you guys would have some input :D I'm trying to decide if i want to go all out and do a complete 97+ swap (engine, tranny, interior, etc.) or if i should restore the truck. Going this route i would probably swap in a 3.1 or a 3.4 from a camaro (ive read thos engines are almost bolt in) and gut the interior to put in a factory looking one. I know the 97+ is a TON of work, but i think it looks awesome, and to have one is my ultimate dream for this truck. If someone who's done it already/is in the process could give me a gauge of how much a 97+ would cost, that would help A TON. Also, because I'm a newbie ill probably ask a lot of questions, and they may seem stupid, but I'm new to the comanche madness so please don't kill me if i ask something thats been asked a million times before. Thanks! (PS Pics will come soon, but the truck is at a friends house because of space issues at my place)

If you want to do a 97+ swap, you'd be way better off staring with a 4.0 or better yet a 4.0 HO. Doing the 97+ swap with a V6 would be a lot more work than it'd be worth.

not really.

at worst he's got to hit the firewall with a BFH to get room for it, and swap the hood, front crossmember, and outer radiator supports, then drop all the 4.0 stuff in.

you guys make it sound like a big deal. it's sheet metal...easy as pie, spot welds are simple.

If you want to do a 97+ swap, you'd be way better off staring with a 4.0 or better yet a 4.0 HO. Doing the 97+ swap with a V6 would be a lot more work than it'd be worth.

not really.

at worst he's got to hit the firewall with a BFH to get room for it, and swap the hood, front crossmember, and outer radiator supports, then drop all the 4.0 stuff in.

you guys make it sound like a big deal. it's sheet metal...easy as pie, spot welds are simple.

Maybe I'm reading his post wrong, but to me it sounds like he's trying to do a 97+ swap with a 3.1 or 3.4 V6. Sheet metal was not what I was worried about, I was talking about the difficulty is trying to mate the 97 and V6 harnesses.

ckahl2 you'd be better off doing a 97+ 4.0 conversion than doing a 3.1/3.4 swap. Doing the V6 swap would require alot more mods to the engine bay and such which is what is being talked about. Whereas the 4.0 swap would only require gutting the donor and transplanting everything over, as well as a few other mods for the dash to fit.

that was my original intention, i think you may have missed the part where i mentioned swapping everything out, including the 4.0 etc. My other option was to keep the build more mild and stick with with the older style and a camaro engine, but the original intention for the 97+ swap was ALWAYS to use the 4.0, sorry if i confused you guys! i tend to do that and sometimes even confuse myself! :doh:

OP was rambling about the fact that he's well enough advised to know that he has options...not suggesting that he wants a full on '97 swap with a 3.1 or 3.4...which, other than making the tachometer work, would be easier and more "bolt-in" than any 4.0 conversion for that year.

yes, please excuse my stupidity, but i was just asking if anyone had a bit more info on 1. a 97+ complete swap, or 2. a gm 3.1 or 3.4 conversion. I was just trying to get a price range that this would all cost me, and wanted to see how hard it is to do either of them. Sometimes i just can't get the right words out :fs1: but and info would be appreciated :cheers:

On a side note, if i do the 97+, i know it would be an advantage to have a whole donor cherokee, and i would plan on buying, and stripping one, but i don't have a place to put it (it was hard enough to get a spot for the MJ) so i was wondering how to dispose of the remains of the cherokee? i'd like to be able to just give the rest away to get it out of my way, but i doubt anyone would take it if ive already stripped it, again, thanks in advance!

On a side note, if i do the 97+, i know it would be an advantage to have a whole donor cherokee, and i would plan on buying, and stripping one, but i don't have a place to put it (it was hard enough to get a spot for the MJ) so i was wondering how to dispose of the remains of the cherokee? i'd like to be able to just give the rest away to get it out of my way, but i doubt anyone would take it if ive already stripped it, again, thanks in advance!

Your local scrap yard would take it and give you money! :banana:

Or you could call one of those "we buy junk car" places and they would also give you money for it, just not as much.