I need some electrical help. Truck won't turn over?

My hazard lights work but my turn signal lights do not. When I try to start the truck it sounds like it is cutting the fuel pump off and won't turn over. My wiper blades also are working slow. No blown fuses. Do I maybe have a short?

Any ideas on what is going on?

hazards and turn signals use different flasher pot assemblies. it's possible that the signal one is dead. try swapping them and see what happens. :thumbsup:

as to the rest of the stuff. are you sure your battery and cables are good and the connection between them is clean?

I just put on brand new battery cables, same problem. Ground the negative side cable to the body and now my wipers work fine, my turn signal and hazard lights all work fine. But when I turn the key to start it kills the fuel pump and won't even turn over the starter. Could this be an ignition switch problem or do I still have a short somewhere?

Check your nuetral safety switch, if its an auto they are known for failure.

It's a 5-speed. I've even tried to start it in neutral, nothing different. Tomorrow I am going to change out the ignition switch and see if that does anything.

Check your nuetral safety switch, if its an auto they are known for failure.

It's a 5-speed. I've even tried to start it in neutral, nothing different. Tomorrow I am going to change out the ignition switch and see if that does anything.

Had the same problem with my daughter's XJ and it ended up being the ignition swithc. Good luck.

take the starter to autozone or other shop that checks them for free?

Thanks Pete.

I went to Orielly's Auto today and the short bus must have brought the employees to work today! After waiting a small eternity in line, the women behind the counter argued with me about my starter. She insisted that she couldn't test it because it didn't match the picture on the machine. She kept looking up an 86 comanche and I told her that mine was an 88. I also told her that Jeep didn't even have a 4.0L in 1986. I got annoyed, yanked my starter from her hands and went across the street to Autozone. The gentlemen at Autozone tested my starter in less than 10 minutes.

So the good news is that my starter is fine, but what the H*LL is wrong with my Jeep??

I don't know what else to check. New battery cables, ignition switch, and a nice working starter. What else could it be??

Did you get your battery load tested? I didn't see that anywhere.......

No I never checked the battery, but I did try my battery out of my Dodge Ram. It did the same thing, I turn the key on everthing is fine, fuel pump primes, gauges work. I turn the key to start and it sounds like it turns the fuel pump on and off, but no clicking or any other noise from the starter. Tomorrow morning I am going to put my starter back on and make sure I'm getting juice to the solenoid from the key.

I finally figured out what was wrong with my truck. A green wire was unplugged from the cluster behind the battery. :doh: It got unplugged when I was running the hoses for the A/C install that I'm working on.

I just drove my truck around the block for the first time in weeks. :banana: :D