Project HELLBILLY DELUXE!

OK here it goes and bare with me ive been working this for couple weeks already so ill post pics and get you caught up as fast as i can.i will be doing this along with my son Lil Taze as i bought this truck for him.Thats where it starts i promised him a comanche a couple months ago after a long search and several comanches i found him one for $500!oh how smart i was :roll: i saw 2 pics of the truck on craigslist looked good talked with a man named JEB(the hillbilly) from the hills of missouri.he told me the truck was not all rusted out 4x4 worked and ran great just needed a battery/cables starter alternator/belt and swaybar bushings and i was ready to go.he lives about 6hrs from me and i was in a hurry to buy the truck he was getting other calls.he told me he was headed to kc to pickup a motorcycle that coming fri and could just meet me there that saves me 4 hrs.i of course said yes but an unexpected thing at work caused me not to be able to go until i got off.he was going to be there and gone by then.my bright idea was to call 87warrior and ask if i could have the truck dropped off at his place for a few hrs till i could get there to pick it up.he told me that would be fine.i then wired hillbilly JEB $500 he called and said the truck had been dropped off we were square.as my son and i pulled up in kc he was very excited to say the least.We got out of the jeep in the dark and the outside of the truck showed some rust then after some flashlight inspection showed alot of rust and an oil leak that had gone on for i bet 10years.we opened the one door that worked and the smell of cat/mouse/rat pee and :headpop: hit us in the face.i started thinking what did i just do?????????????? and wondering what my son was thinking how disappointed he was.i was in a bind and it was getting late i had to get back on the road home so after a fight we got the truck loaded onto the car dolly good thing my grand has a hemi :yes: ya thats right i said HEMI! i had to force the dolly under the truck him driving and me pushing wasnt getting it on the trailer.Pics on the way

by the way this is a 88 pioneer 4x4 manual 4.0 longbed 250xxx miles with factory air

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad I could help get the truck to you :thumbsup: Here are a few pics I took of the truck as it sat outside my apartment.

It sounds like you are making good progress on that truck. I can't believe the floors are in good shape!!!!! Hope some of those body panels I dropped off at your place will find their way on the truck.

thanks brett here's more of when we first got it and some progress pics

this is one good thing about it.. D44.

fixed the major oil leak with a new valve cover gasket, cleaned up the motor, it looked horrible, replaced the battery cables, terminals and battery.

started tearing truck apart

You win some and you lose some. I think if what is underneath isn't rusted to @#$% you should be satisfied with what you ended up with. Some will find a diamond in the rough for $500 others are lucky to get a rust bucket for $500. The D44 would still make this a decent buy for $500 if the rest of the truck is straight.

:eek: Looking forward to seeing how you clean this one up. It sounds like you got alot of good parts to start replacing all the rusted out existing panels. It is really suprising to see how decent the floor pans are in comparison to the rest of the truck!

i have a soda blasting moble unit coming in the am to blast the floor and some of the frame.I'm tryn to keep cost way down on a budget here. remember i had no idea i was gunna have to do any of this!we sanded primed and bedlined the wheel wells around the doors around the radiator etc.i did get some paint on and couple panels too ill get pics up soon.

Let us know how the Soda Blasting works for you. I plan on taking my truck to get the chassis/floor/cab soda blasted within the next month or so. Fellow has a $10K soda blaster.

Way to get at it, this truck is going to be a mean wheeler in no time! jamminz.gif

Soda blasting is awesome. I used it to scuff up the paint in areas of my fiberglass topper I couldnt reach. I also used it to scuff up some aluminum rims for painting. Not to mention an old merc super 5 outboard. Sodium Bicarbonate is not good for rust removal, but paint and soft metals it is awesome. Also environmentaly friendly jamminz.gif .

front

grab a better picture of that hole in the frame rail. houston, you have a problem...

that round hole with the vertical what looks like torch cut in it is in front of the track bar mount, behind the steering box...and you're going to need to plate the heck out of that now.

glad you mentioned that, that hole is in front of the sway bar almost to the front end of the frame.its on both sides its ripped all the way down the metal is rolled up from being ripped it literally looks like a perfect curl. but its way in front of the track bar though you can see the swaybar in the pic its in front of that.so what do you guys think its from?I'm having a tough time loading pics let alone get bigger ones but i can try.sorry i reread your post you said in front of the trackbar mount my bad i had read it as you were saying it was the trackbar.but yes they were 2 perfect holes with something in them that was ripped straight down.could it have been something to do with the factory skid?it was bent up laying in the bed ive never seen how one mounts but those holes are big way bigger than the skid plate mounting holes.i tell you what it looks like is someone had some kind of aftermarket swaybar thru the holes i doubt that though on this truck????? :dunno:

glad you mentioned that, that hole is in front of the sway bar almost to the front end of the frame.its on both sides its ripped all the way down the metal is rolled up from being ripped it literally looks like a perfect curl. but its way in front of the track bar thought you can see the swaybar in the pic its in front of that.so what do you guys think its from?I'm having a tough time loading pics let alone get bigger ones but i can try.

not a bigger one, just a better one showing the damage.

that "tear" is from some idjit making a stupid yank on that thing and trying to recover something. that hole is the rear bolt hole for a factory tow hook bracket.

and the issue is that that crack/tear runs around your steering box. that area of the frame is notably week and it's not uncommon for it to be broke...but nowhere near what yours is like. that whole section of the frame really MUST be repaired before you even think about driving it. if that finishes the break and shears off, it'll kill you.

Soda blasting also leaves a residue that inhibits rust :thumbsup: . But if they tell you it is good for rust they might be looking to charge you extra hours. :fs2:

well you guys have me a little worried here I'm having them come to get rid of my floor board rust and some on the leafpacks so i can put some chassis saver on them and keep from rusting more.does it not blast the rust off?

There are better media options for rust than baking soda. Baking soda is great because where normal media removes debris by removing the surface and usually some of the under material, soda blasting media explodes when it hits the surface, so the explosion itself removes the stuff you want gone. Rust just takes longer than paint to be removed by soda media. I am not a professional blaster, maybe these guys have a new technique.

after researching my chassis saver it actually adhears better to rust than smooth surface as long as theres no bubbles of course.it literally attacks the rust sticks to it and will bond metal to metal you can glue 2 pieces of metal together with it nasty stuff! jamminz.gif good thing cuz my frame is rusting.