1988 dodge ram 360CI v8 (5.9L magnum)

my brother just traded his YJ for that ram and plan to get enfgine swap to new 360CI and don't mind to give it to me so i can swap my 4.0L for 5.9L magnum.

so my questions r that would it be good idea? any pros/cons about 5.9L from 1988 dodge ram begin swap in my mj?

BTW i know how to rebuild the engine which i did couple time with chevy 350.

would its requires alot of replace parts like powertrain, crossmemeber, etc.?

The 5.9/360 was not a hemi and was a member of descendant of the 273/318/340 "LA" family of engines commonly known as "small block mopars." The problem is that the Dodges of that era were pass. side drop transfer cases: they did not go to driver's drop until 1994. In 1994 the "LA" enginnes moved from the "commando" line to the upgraded "magnum" line.

The modern hemi shares nothing with the various 360's or the previous two generations of hemi's. It is 5.7L/345 CID, not 5.9L/360 CID.

Before it gets asked...the AMC 360 shared nothing with the Mopar 360 and the engines will not bolt to the same transmissions.

i just read about 360 and oops its magnum lol my bad its my habit to said hemi haha

The 5.9/360 was not a hemi and was a member of descendant of the 273/318/340 "LA" family of engines commonly known as "small block mopars." The problem is that the Dodges of that era were pass. side drop transfer cases: they did not go to driver's drop until 1994. In 1994 the "LA" enginnes moved from the "commando" line to the upgraded "magnum" line.

The modern hemi shares nothing with the various 360's or the previous two generations of hemi's. It is 5.7L/345 CID, not 5.9L/360 CID.

Before it gets asked...the AMC 360 shared nothing with the Mopar 360 and the engines will not bolt to the same transmissions.

so which means i should get amc 360 not mopar 360? possible a converter?

I'm wonder do i gotta change engine mount and trim the firewall?

i don't mind about transmission since mine is ba 10/5 so yea perfect time to swap transmission during get mopar 360

Strike 2. The '88 was the early "commando" line and used a different block and heads from the later "magnum" line of small blocks. The parts do not easily interchange. As stated above, the 5.9 Magnum was first used in 1993 in the new '94 Rams.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html

the easiest V8 swap for an MJ is a small block chevy as the mounts/radiator/exhaust are available aftermarket. The 4.0 shares the AMC bolt pattern of the AMC 360 but not motor mounts, etc.... I am not sure what, even any, MJ trannies can be adapted to the AMC 360 due to strength, balance, and other issues. The AMC 360 was last used in the '91 Grand Wagoneer. Later 5.2 & 5.9 jeep engines were actually small block chryslers. A complete drivetrain swap from a V8 Grand Cherokee would probably be the easiest Chrysler V8 swap.

ok... i just asked questions and i know there answers but can't i make sure also sound like u have bad day and i don't care if ur done since thats how hearing begin be D I C K head to deaf.

because they just don't understand why deaf have hard time to correct the English

:thwak:

edit: if you and other can't stand my English then alright ill stay away from this forum, make your people happy and less headache.

both of you can knock it off. now.

but back to the v8 discussion, v8s are notoriously difficult to make work in an XJ/MJ. not that they haven't been done, but they are usually full of headaches and there are numerous examples of failed swaps out there. even successful swaps are frequently hampered by sooling problems. be prepared to gut everything from your truck, axles included, and plan on a long and expensive journey. :( a chevy v8 would probably be the least amount of headache, since it's been done more than the others. but even then the adapter parts and custom parts aren't cheap.

but back to the v8 discussion, sooling problems.

I'm not sure how bad a sooling problem is... but yes V-8 conversions can be fraught with cooling problems... :yes:

on a side note... not being a Dodge guy.. Was the 360 all that common in the Dodge p/u's of that era?? The 318 would have been the "normal" V-8 correct?

be sure to read up extensively on the stroker. :thumbsup: there are pitfalls there too.

Pitfalls? What pitfalls? What's a pitfall?

–noun

2. any trap or danger for the unwary

mostly I'm thinking that some people think you can do a stroker for "cheap".

also:

s_Pitfall_1.png

be sure to read up extensively on the stroker. :thumbsup: there are pitfalls there too.

Oh I'm sure there alot infos about stroker :D. I have plenty time to read it up :popcorn:

and remember I'm not go do redneck way (no offend again) so I won't go for it in CHEAP way :no: I'm my self as sleeper like obv I have subaru :brows:

but back to the v8 discussion, sooling problems.

I'm not sure how bad a sooling problem is... but yes V-8 conversions can be fraught with cooling problems... :yes:

on a side note... not being a Dodge guy.. Was the 360 all that common in the Dodge p/u's of that era?? The 318 would have been the "normal" V-8 correct?

thats what i heard but didnt research about those p/u's. i though 350 is the normal v8? correct me? :dunno:

SMALL block vs BI BLOCK refers to block size in general.

A 440 mopar (dodge) is ocnsidered a BIG block as the block is larger in size to the 360/318 etc which are considered SMALL blocks. LONG block refers to another term entirely which any engine can pretty much be.

As for a chebbie 350 being the easiest V-8 to swap into a 4.0L jeep...UH-UH.

The AMC V-8's and I-6's all share very similar motormounts. I can't remember which side but you only need to unbolt one mount from the block and put it on the AMC V-8 to make it fit in an XJ/YJ/YJ/MJ etc.

That being said and to answer his earlier questions...yes you will have to upgrade pretty much everything else.

The AX-15 tranny will bolt up to the AMC 360 easily enough but would probably not last too long. However the later NV-3550 used in the last XJ's and late model TJ's would also work and would handle it a fair bit better.

Also on the big full size jeep board IFSJA there is at least 1 person over there that is mating an AW-4 to a 360 in a full size wagoneer.

You could also use the entire engine and drivetrain from an '81+ grand wagoneer. Get one with the 360/727/208 combo. it will be drivers side drop. ROb the axles from it too. I did this in a YJ and it worked with some minor fab work. The NP-208 t-case is a nice big chain drive case that hold up well behind the AMC 360 (and was used in ford and dodge's full size trucks as well.) This would honestly be the easiest and cheapst way to get a V-8 into an MJ. You can buy and complete running waggy for under a grand (done it) and then other than swapping the needed motor mount possibly moving the tranny X-member (I did not have to in my YJ) you would need to make provisioons for a shifter to the trans and t-case and then get new driveshafts.

unless you have a D-44 rear axle... swap the rear axle. The front D-30 may hold up ok if you don't run a big tire and don't beat the snot out of it. Mine holds up ok in my CJ5 with the 304 and the CJ D-30's aren't quite as strong as a later model XJ D-30 is.

So it can be done but will take a fair amount of work...maybe even more than fair depending on your mechanical skills.

SMALL block vs BI BLOCK refers to block size in general.

A 440 mopar (dodge) is ocnsidered a BIG block as the block is larger in size to the 360/318 etc which are considered SMALL blocks. LONG block refers to another term entirely which any engine can pretty much be.

As for a chebbie 350 being the easiest V-8 to swap into a 4.0L jeep...UH-UH.

The AMC V-8's and I-6's all share very similar motormounts. I can't remember which side but you only need to unbolt one mount from the block and put it on the AMC V-8 to make it fit in an XJ/YJ/YJ/MJ etc.

That being said and to answer his earlier questions...yes you will have to upgrade pretty much everything else.

The AX-15 tranny will bolt up to the AMC 360 easily enough but would probably not last too long. However the later NV-3550 used in the last XJ's and late model TJ's would also work and would handle it a fair bit better.

Also on the big full size jeep board IFSJA there is at least 1 person over there that is mating an AW-4 to a 360 in a full size wagoneer.

You could also use the entire engine and drivetrain from an '81+ grand wagoneer. Get one with the 360/727/208 combo. it will be drivers side drop. ROb the axles from it too. I did this in a YJ and it worked with some minor fab work. The NP-208 t-case is a nice big chain drive case that hold up well behind the AMC 360 (and was used in ford and dodge's full size trucks as well.) This would honestly be the easiest and cheapst way to get a V-8 into an MJ. You can buy and complete running waggy for under a grand (done it) and then other than swapping the needed motor mount possibly moving the tranny X-member (I did not have to in my YJ) you would need to make provisioons for a shifter to the trans and t-case and then get new driveshafts.

unless you have a D-44 rear axle... swap the rear axle. The front D-30 may hold up ok if you don't run a big tire and don't beat the snot out of it. Mine holds up ok in my CJ5 with the 304 and the CJ D-30's aren't quite as strong as a later model XJ D-30 is.

So it can be done but will take a fair amount of work...maybe even more than fair depending on your mechanical skills.

good infos, sounds like fun to swap but still no motive for it. how about my 9" rear and d44 front from the bronco?