Incommando's 88 SporTruck

I got this truck ( and some cash) for a FSJ Cherokee project that had stalled. I had ALMOST bought a similar MJ new in '88. This truck is a 4wd shortbed with the 4.0, AW4, 231, and a tracloc D44 rear that actually still works after 105,000 miles!!! LOL. It is in pretty good shape. I had to patch the driver's floor but, other than the pass. rocker, the body is very solid. the front header panel, grille, and bumper were off when I got it, and the interior, including the gaugles and seat, were out. I had to put that stuff all on...

When I got it:

I did a couple of things to the truck, and slipped some 265/70/16's on it:

I finally put my 4.5" R.C. lift kit on it )as purchased through Hellcreek-great company):

liftfront.jpg

32x11.5's in Gambler rims

I will get more finished pics when the sun is up.

Image Not Found

R.C. failed to include the brake line drop brackets as promised. I did the front line drop by straightening the hard line and attaching it lower. On the rear, I unbolted the factory bracket and ended up attaching it on the old, disconnected rear load sensing valve.

This truck has been very reliable and has taken several multi-hundred mile trips. I will update as I add pics...

did the same thing with my rear brake line. bent the hardline a tad and zip tied it to the old valve. i guess i should bolt it up like yours but you don't really need THAT much slack. I'm always thinking itll get hung on a limb or something out in the woods hanging that low :ack:

I guess I could loosely zip tie the line itself so it was up out of the way but could travel through the loop. To decide where to put the rear line, I had the axle at full droop and then made sure it had slack there.

As soon as I decide to go out and get cold I'll post some finished pics.

BTW: For bow tie fans, the red chevy in the background of pics #3 & 4 is a '62 SS409 Impala with a dual-4V's and 4spd.... it belongs to my buddy with the nice garage. The engine is currently in his workshop where it is being miracle-gro'd to 482 inches. He also has a 348 tri-power 4spd '60. In front of the '62, behind the chopped chevy truck with a C5 drivetrain and suspension, is a tube-chassised '67 Cutlass powered by a 650hp Indy-headed Mopar 440.

I bought the kit through Hellcreek for the 10% discount. I received excellent customer service from them and it is the exact same kit as it was drop shipped from Rough Country.

That being said, I am done with Rough Country. Numerous items were missing from the kit: rear u-bolts, promised brake line drop brackets, extended sway bar links. I called R.C. and the rude dude on the phone refused to aid me. Some B.S about the extra parts box only being inlcuded in the XJ kit, but not in the MJ kit with the same part #.... :fs1: Hellcreek intervened and got them to send out the stuff out...except all that showed up were the u-bolts on another drop-ship from R.C. We ended up making our own extended sway bar links and, using tips from here, relocated the brake lines. The pics for the kit show long AAL's and short ones were sent. Numerous items from the included instructions did not match what was sent. The invoice showed they had no pre-made kits "quantity on hand" and it looks like the have a list of parts they DID have and just sent what they had, and to heck with the rest. I am going to TRY to get the rest of the stuff sent as I paid for it, but I do not hold out much hope.

The bar is more of an appearance item & is not original to my truck. I installed it Tuesday. I need to get some more pics of the roll bar to find out what it is: it appears to be aluminum and all 4 "feet" bolt to attachment points & the down bars attach to the main hoop via T55 torx nuts that go over carriage bolts. The "feet" are bolted through the sheet metal. The thing "smells" of jeep and their torx fascination. In addition, the person that I bought it from was the original owner of the donor MJ & he said the truck was bought new with the bar. That leaves the possibility of a aftermarket bar installed by a dealer. A friend got it for me off of craigslist in Ft Wayne, IN and I never saw the donor truck.

You think that because it didn't come from Rough Country... :yes:

nah, the rear tube just doesnt look right.

I think the only roll bar that looks good in these trucks are OEM ones, or one from a dodge dakota.

yours is from an '80's ford ranger, i think.