Bench to Bucket Interior Upgrade

I'm gathering a parts list for my next jy run and am going to seriously look for the necessary parts for the bench to bucket/console conversion. The bench in the '90 is a lot less comfortable than the one in the '87...less padding I think. Based on the searching I've done I need '94 or earlier seats and will use my bench brackets, correct? If I find good 4 dr seats can I add the hardware to convert them into 2 dr seats later on? I found a few pics of consoles with cup holders but most don't seem to have any. What donor(s) have the cup holder? Finally if there are no decent pre '94s in the yard is the center console from the 95-96 or 97+ bolt in? Will newer seats work with an older console and vice versa or do the interior generations need to be matched?

I'm gathering a parts list for my next jy run and am going to seriously look for the necessary parts for the bench to bucket/console conversion. The bench in the '90 is a lot less comfortable than the one in the '87...less padding I think. Based on the searching I've done I need '94 or earlier seats and will use my bench brackets, correct? If I find good 4 dr seats can I add the hardware to convert them into 2 dr seats later on? I found a few pics of consoles with cup holders but most don't seem to have any. What donor(s) have the cup holder? Finally if there are no decent pre '94s in the yard is the center console from the 95-96 or 97+ bolt in? Will newer seats work with an older console and vice versa or do the interior generations need to be matched?

I used the original bench bracket (its higher i think)((don't quite remember)

I used seats from a two door cherokee with the sliding brackets for access to the rear area. I welded the bucket seats and bracket to the comanche bench bracket. I now had nice 6 way bucket seats( u could put in power if u wanted). With the two bucket seats were in; i used a wrangler center console with cup holders since i have a column shift. if u wanted to convert to a tunnel shift u could set it up just like a cherokee. Good luck; hope i helped

Good info. I can basically search for any matching console that's in good shape. Any ideas on difficulty of converting 4 dr seats to flip forward like the 2 dr folding seats? I'm hoping to find a 2 dr XJ (MJ would be even better) but the likelihood of the 4 dr is significantly higher.

Cherokee center console has a provision for heat to the rear seats. Comanche center consoles do not have that provision. Also understand you need to change the Comanche heater air box to the Cherokee style to use the Cherokee center console.

Think the mounting brackets for the Cherokee console are the same as the Comanche console. Can check my parts book if you need the info.

I did the bench to bucket conversion and I like it. Used 91 Laredo wing back buckets. There is a great bucket seat how to in the DYI section. It got me to make the change.

Good info. I can basically search for any matching console that's in good shape. Any ideas on difficulty of converting 4 dr seats to flip forward like the 2 dr folding seats? I'm hoping to find a 2 dr XJ (MJ would be even better) but the likelihood of the 4 dr is significantly higher.

I'm running 4 door XJ buckets in mine, but they are the "rocker" style, on the MJ bench floor brackets. Two things I can offer.....the rocker style buckets sit a good 3" higher than the regular buckets, and not having the 4 door forward-flip option on the seatbacks is a real PITA. The only reason I'm running them is I have an all black interior and I searched the 'yards for over 1.5 years trying to find black bucket seats. When I finally found a set I grabbed them.

I would love to figure out how to modify them to make them flip, but I'm not willing to rip them apart in the hopes that I can figure out how. I'm hoping one of you younger fellers out there with more ambition than me will take the lead on that, figure it out, and post it up here for all of us to see how to do ;)

Jeff

Cherokee center console has a provision for heat to the rear seats. Comanche center consoles do not have that provision. Also understand you need to change the Comanche heater air box to the Cherokee style to use the Cherokee center console.

So I have to strip the dash to change out the air box or is it just an adapter on the bottom? Do you have a pic or diagram of the differences? I'm assuming you can't ignore the Cherokee console provisions b/c they interfere with the Comanche floor ducts?

The rocker style buckets sit a good 3" higher than the regular buckets

I'm assuming rocker style buckets angle say +- 20 degrees in addition to sliding forward & backwards

The rocker style buckets certainly do sit a lot higher and it takes some getting used to. I have them in my '88 Pioneer and I feel like a truck driver in that thing.

Also, if you don't have a tilt column steering wheel, that could pose a real problem with the rocker style.

Also, if you don't have a tilt column steering wheel, that could pose a real problem with the rocker style.

quoted for truth.....

I don't have a problem with my head being closer to the cab (I'm only 5'8" on a good day), but have problems getting my thigh under the wheel getting in/out.

Jeff

Yeah, i made a custom sound bar for mine but I'm 6,3 so the added height of the bucket makes the custom sound bar( out of new tj i narrowed down with the working light wired to a switch on the dash not possible( I also covered it in factory cloth to match the interior :doh: I aint sellin the truckm so it aint gonna workl image_209027.gif

on Monday i had to modify my bench seat brackets to fit the new 6 way buckets . the seats sat to close to the center console & was not centered with the steering wheel so in in order to move them out an inch i had to add a bit to the brackets i did sum welding & ...