i fought Mother Nature tonight, and "I" won

dfreeman616

sorta. it was a brush fire at a house 2 doors down from my parents. we had a nice campfire going when we noticed another fire upwind of us at the neighbor's place. being in the country, that didn't seem odd until it got bigger...so after putting out our fire, we ran over with shovels and a rake to help put it out. between me, my dad, a friend, the next door neighbors, and the neighbors who's property was burning, we got it out. they had been trying to burn leaves and grass earlier, but gave up thinking it wasn't going anywhere because it was too green. well, i guess it wasn't too green after all!

certainly made for an interesting saturday night.

After having 1 too many pasture fires loose control :no: we never burn without at least 2 ATVs with spray tanks. Lately we have been using the 200 gallon spray tank on the Deere for fire fighting as well. Had no issues at all this past spring with the burns!

It is good you got the fire put out. Those can turn real nasty, real fast.

You'd be surprised what little it takes to put out a field fire. On my first "acutal" fire, it was a huge field fire from a fire that a farmer had set to clear his crop. We rolled up in the brush trucks, and I was handed this baby backpack full of water and a pump sprayer, and a wicker broom. Flames were 30-40 feet in the center, with blowing wind... A handful of us found a spot to run through into the black (already burned portion), and hit it from the inside. Couple light sprays with water, and broom the embers onto the burned part, a crew of 10-20 guys knocked it out in 30 minutes... Very impressive. Lately they have been experimenting with leaf blowers, and standing on the unburned side and blowing the flames/embers into the black. Works very good, and is pretty efficient.

But good on ya for knocking one down... :cheers:

Rob L.