i fought the lawnmower....and it won...

STERLING STINGER

well here goes....

i was on my last commercial job of the season...the last 10 mins of it even....no more mowing huge commercial lots until next spring :banana:

so I'm all rammy, stupid, trying to get this done when i try to go around this road sign that ive gone around 100 times already....

well, my wheel on my mower deck gets caught up on the sign,

i disengauged the blad and got off the mower,

i went to the rear of the mower to try to lift it out of the jam it was in ....not happening...

i reach to the wheel, hands under deck, (stupidity), tap tap tap on my hand,

i knew it was the blade, but it really didnt hurt and it stopped on the third tap....

pulled my hand up to inspect asnd ....uh oh.....

groseness....nail hanging off, fingers cut 3 diffrent ways.....

instantly went to med kit in truck and threw a band aid on them real tight.

i knew at that point i needed to go to reddi center...a hospital where you don't have to wait....

first i had to get my work ticket signed though so i went into the home depot all bloody a...walked to the office which is in the rear of the store,

and got it signed...

the manager was like "oh my god, go to the hospital right now!!!"

so me and worker are on our way back...its about 1/2 hour to the reddi center...

worker says "can you stop so i can get a drink?"

whatever hurry up and get me one....

then, he tells me that he got somewhere to be so he couldnt go to the doctors with me.....wtf

so i have to drive another 1/2 hour before i get there...

i get there and get 19.....yes 19 stitches inside and out on just my 2 fingertips...

they had to remove my nail to put stitches UNDER it...

they numbed my fingers up good, but it was still real nasty watching them rip and tug at my fingers

so all is said and done, it all boils down to my stupidity.....the most important thing to remember when driving a mower....watch the blade...

just goes to show that being in a hurry, all rammy n crap makes you trip....

ok, here's a before staples trip, and its just the one side

this pic does not do the injury justice....at all

ill put up some new pics after the stitches when i change the dressing later

ouchie......

I feel ya on sutures in the nailbed, not fun. When I chopped my toe off a couple months ago the ER doc stitched it back on and put 4 sutures into the nailbed. He gave me two rounds of novicane (4 shots each X2) at the base of the toe to block the nerve, and then 2 more shots directly into the toe at the chop point and it was all I could do to not rip the side of the gurney off. My wife tried to hold my hand but quickly realized that was a bad idea :yes:

Keep those wounds CLEAN, especially if you got down to the bone. You don't want an infection to set in.

Did they give you a teatnus shot too? I got one right after he put the stitches in, and it hurt like hades too. And for the next two days....

Jeff

My uncle on my Dad's side cut off his midlle finger kinda like this. He was cutting his lawn with one of them push mowers and it got clogged up but he did not what to try and start it again. So he reached down to get it unclogged :doh: he got it unclogged with the mower still running and there gos his finger. It was a great story about my redneck half of the family in Virginia :rotf:

Brandon

My old supervisor at work (Parts dept for public works) lopped off the tip of his finger on one of these...

img_A_100036_fd393e60b24281f30f85dbd537674929.jpg

But, ours was a bit bigger, and a whole lot rustier... :ack:

They had the reels off the ground and were trying to fix one of the bearings, when it let loose, and his pinky was right where it sheared off the grass where the blade/edge met. :eek:

He ended up with gang green, and they had to dig out the infected skin with no anesthetic. Being a pretty tough dude, he bit his lip until he couldn't take the blood and pain anymore... Only to find out the reason they don't numb it is that when it hurts, they are to good tissue and can stop.

I am sure that info would have been nice to know at the start...

Rob L. :yes:

thats nasty!!! :ack: glad you are ok though

i had a guy i worked with get his thumb caught in a lathe lost a chunk of it. scared the crap out of him too. took off a few weeks of work it was that bad. when i had to work in that dept. i was the only one with all my digits... i was happy when i got moved out again :D

img_A_100036_fd393e60b24281f30f85dbd537674929.jpg

What the hell is that?

Brandon

Ever seen a picture of those "reel" type mowers that just have curved blades and spin under your own power? Thats a trailer full of them that you pull behind a big tractor. Golf courses and city's use them all the time to cut big fields and open areas.

Rob L.

My uncle on my Dad's side cut off his midlle finger kinda like this. He was cutting his lawn with one of them push mowers and it got clogged up but he did not what to try and start it again. So he reached down to get it unclogged :doh: he got it unclogged with the mower still running and there gos his finger. It was a great story about my redneck half of the family in Virginia :rotf:

Brandon

Friend of the family tried to dislodge a stick from under the deck of a riding mower when he was a kid. Lost 3/4 of his ring finger. They sowed it back on, but the tip started turning purple and black. Blood was moving into it, but did not circulate back out. Ended up having to put a leech on his finger tip every 6 hours for a few weeks. Luckily, it did eventually heal.

My boss is missing 1/3 of a middle finger when a board kicked up and out of an underpowered table saw, causing his hand to follow across the blade. Cut into three fingers and exploded the end joint of the middle finger into more than 10 bone fragments. He had the choice of having it permanently pinned, meaning he could never bend it again and it'd be in the way, or have it cut off at the knuckle. An co-worker had a close call with the same saw earlier. Same thing, but he just cut into the meaty part of his hand between the wrist and pinky without permanent damage. I was happy to see that saw go. Sold it for $150 with a disclaimer to "use at your own risk".

Delta says they set the standard for table saws, but as far as I'm concerned, that standard sucks. Powermatic far surpasses it. Same for shapers. We have 5 Powermatics in various sizes, and a piece of poo Delta we should have never wasted our money on. But I'm drifting off topic here.