Converting back to normal from amsoil..?

I think oil is coming from the CCV and making it's way back up towards the throttle body...

Not exactly.

The CCV tube connects directly to the intake manifold. That small tube coming off the rear of the valve cover is the suction tube. The larger tube at the front of the valve cover is the fresh air inlet, which is supposed to bring filtered air into the crankcase to replace what the smaller tube sucks out.

What happens is that excessive blowby puts more air (fumes) into the crankcase than the small line can suck out, so the crankcase goes from being a low-pressure, suction chamber to being a pressurized chamber. In addition to oily fumes being sucked through the small tube (until it clogs), they are also forced back through the larger tube, from which they drip oil onto the air filter element. Then the airstream going to the throttle body picks up oil from the filer and that's how it gets to the throttle body.

If the blowby isn't too bad, replacing the two lines and cleaning out the baffles in the valve cover may restore normal operation. NAPA has the complete set of CCV tubes for the Renix 4.0L engine -- I don't know if they have them for the 2.5L but they look similar enough that you could probably use 4.0L parts with minor modifications if they don't.

Can yall show me where my CCV is??? I can't find it... Is it the hole behind the engine oil cap? If so, it won't fit...

That small tube IS the CCV. There is no physical valve, like with a conventional PCV on many other vehicles.

So if I clean that up I won't need a ccv? I can't find anywhere that sells them..

Also my grandfather said all they did to convert to amsoil is add another oil filter... I don't know where tomorrow I will look. I'm doing an oil change then

The CCV (crankcase ventilation) are the two tubes on your valve cover. The large tube supplies air to the crankcase the small tube draws air out of the crankcase. There is no PCV valve on the 2.5 TBI, I believe the early version carb. 2.5 had a PCV.

I have not been able to find the larger CCV right angle grommet that comes out of the valve cover. I glued mine back in with Ultra Black RTV, if you are real careful and don't move it around it will hold. Caution I broke the rubber flange off mine trying to take it out, I found a good used one at the pull-n-save.

A good test for blow by is with the engine warm and idling, loosen the oil filler cap, there should be pulsing vacuum pressure holding the cap to the valve cover. It should kind of sit there and bounce.

So if I clean that up I won't need a ccv? I can't find anywhere that sells them..

Also my grandfather said all they did to convert to amsoil is add another oil filter... I don't know where tomorrow I will look. I'm doing an oil change then

They may have added a bypass filter system to it. Look at the oil filter mount. The adapter should screw on there. If they did, you will notice a set of hoses leading to another mount with a second filter on it.

They may have added a bypass filter system to it. Look at the oil filter mount. The adapter should screw on there. If they did, you will notice a set of hoses leading to another mount with a second filter on it.

Thanks! How would I go to taking the second filter off?

You would unscrew the adapter from the block and thread the oil filter mount stud back onto the OEM mount. If you do have a bypass... I would love some pictures... and I might be interested in buying it from you. The mount and hoses not the dirty @$$ filters.

You would unscrew the adapter from the block and thread the oil filter mount stud back onto the OEM mount. If you do have a bypass... I would love some pictures... and I might be interested in buying it from you. The mount and hoses not the dirty @$$ filters.

I plan on doing the oil change tomorrow and taking the old filter off and putting OEM one back on. I will take some pics for you.

Yes that is the fitting I was talking about. What is that tye-wrap on there for, that must mount different than mine. The one on my valve cover has a double lip molded into the rubber that snapes down in the valve cover. If I put a tye-wrap on mine it would make it looser.

Mine was blowing oil out of that fitting all over the top of the cover!

It was on there whenever I brought it home... I did put some RTV on it about an hour ago... It should be ready to crank tomorrow and see if everything is in working condition... Hopefully I can clean the gunk off the engine tomorrow as well..

I might be taking a trip to the pull a part tomorrow, should I try and grab some grommets from the XJ's or are they different?

The XJ's have a different valve cover and grommets. Look around for the 2.5 and see if you can find one of those big rubber grommets with the hard tube assembly attached to it. The trick will be removing it from the valve cover without breaking it. That rubber gets old and brittle.

The XJ's have a different valve cover and grommets.

No, that's not correct. The XJ and MJ used exactly the same engines, and within any range of years and engine options an XJ will be exactly the same as an XJ.

I think what you're saying is that you think the 4.0L engine uses a different setup than the 2.5L engine. That may be correct, but I'd be surprised. However, I have not parked a 2.5L next to a 4.0L to compare them that carefully.

Everything is in good condition so far...

When I start it up and let it run for about maybe a minute or so, I start smelling something... I believe it is the exhaust, I have no clue though. I cleaned the engine bay, I ran the hose on it then I started it, and in about 20 seconds I started smelling the smell and smoke started coming out from what looked like the exhaust manifold, maybe the front (closest to the front of jeep).

Could that be the smell?