UCA axle bushings - how to remove

I'm trying to replace all the bushing on the front end. After I dropped the front axle I realized that the upper control arms have one bushing that's attached to the arm (like both bushing on the LCAs), but one is attached to the axle (which is dumb because I have my old axle sitting about 10 feet away and I walk past it every day, so I should have remembered). I don't have a press and was just going to bring in the arms to a shop to have them press the old bushings out and the new ones in. So I can bring in the uppers and lowers and get 6 out of the 8 control arm bushings replaced, but what can I do about the axle bushings? Is there a special tool I can use (or rent) to press these out? Or am I stuck replacing 6 of them now and driving it to a shop so they can do the axle ones (or potentially I could borrow another truck and bring the axle in too).

If you can't get it to budge with a hammer, you might need to apply some heat to them to soften up the rubber a little. Last set I did I got frustrated and just melted them out, cut into the outside metal part with a sawsaw on opposite sides(careful not to cut too deep) and just tapped it out in two pieces.

However you get them out, make sure you clean up the surfaces before the new one goes in. Then if you choose to use a hammer, pound the hell out of it and it'll be in. I used a piece of wood between the hammer and bushing to try to prevent some of the damage, you can also use a piece of metal, just something to spread out the impact a bit.

Why? The new replacement ones are so cheap it's not worth the effort, the old stamped C-channel steel gets fatigued so just replace the arms with new ones and call it a day.

Here they are:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56015_004.htm?sgsc=QSHOPGBASE&utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant

Or from Rock Auto from $27.29 each

Why? The new replacement ones are so cheap it's not worth the effort, the old stamped C-channel steel gets fatigued so just replace the arms with new ones and call it a day.

Here they are:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56015_004.htm?sgsc=QSHOPGBASE&utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant

Or from Rock Auto from $27.29 each

That doesn't help with his question, which is about replacing the bushings in the axle.

OP, I'm fairly certain you can also use a balljoint press with the correct adapters to replace them.

you can use a BJ press, but you'll need the adapter kit along with it to do it properly.....rent the whole sheebang from your local Autismzone, or similar.

Or, you can be butch, and redneck them out/in with a BFH as described above :roll:

Jeff

Or, you can be butch, and redneck them out/in with a BFH as described above :roll: Jeff

:nuts: :agree: This link:

http://jeep.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/xj-control-arm-bushing-replacement-20477.html

used to have pics to make a poor mans UCA axle bushing press, which I did as i was concerned about bending the bushing mounting "ears" in my 2WD. It cost about 5$ at a local surplus house for all the parts (threaded rod, nuts, a few appropriately sized washers, and a plumbing reducer fixture to press the old bushing into). It worked great; no beating like a moron, burning, or cutting. Simple press out, press in. 30 minutes per side.

Hammer worked great! I cleaned up the new bushings and tossed them in the freezer. Then I removed the old bushings (cut them out) and cleaned up the inside surface on the axle. A little bit of heat on the axle, a little bit of grease on the ice-cold bushings, and they pounded right in. Huzzah!

Now I just have to finish cutting off the nuts to the get chassis-side UCA bolts out :fs1: