some AMC questions (Trans)

camjeep3

well my friend recently bought a cj. it has the 304 and is a 78 model it came with a ton of extra parts. the guy he bought it from had some transmissions with it. we are not sure what they are or if they are of any value. apparently it is a Turbo 400 with an AMC bolt pattern. and then another 400 with a different output. if i remember right he was planning on using the output of the 400 to put in the 400 with the AMC bolt pattern in order to swap the jeep to an auto. basically he wants to know what the trans is out of and whats it worth really. sorry if this is really broad. thanks guys!

To the best of my knowledge they never made a TH400 with any other bolt pattern than the Chevy or BOP. For the 400's going in Jeeps the tranny was about 1 1/2 inches shorter than stock and a adapter ring was used to mate them to the various engines used. Even with the Buick 350 used in late 60's and early 70's Jeep they used the adapter instead of a regular 400 that would bolt up without the adapter. I'm not familiar with mid-late Jeeps with autos so maybe they were the exception. I installed several Cadillac and Buick BB's into Jeeps using a stock BOP TH400 changing the output shaft and tail housing to fit a transfer case.

TH400 was available in quite a few different patterns. Chev was common, BOP (caddy) as well. Then there was the first TH400 which was made for Buick Nailheads @'62. The very first auto used in most Jeeps was this one with an adapter ring.

Nailhead trans (also used in high powered European cars in the '60s/70s)

Image Not Found

AMC adapter ring still attached to my old motor

Image Not Found

The six cyls had Borg Warner autos till '72.

@'74 AMC got TH400s with their own case