Auto Tranny line help

Hey there guys and gals,

When i got my comanche I guess the guy had put and after market radiator in and instead of taking the time to get the quick disconnect off he just cut the line put some fuel line and clamps on it and thought it would work. Well after i replaced my tranny it was spraying tranny fluid everywhere, like a quart a day.

My problem: I salvaged some tranny lines from my local JY for $20 instead of $180 brand new. Sounded good to me. But i can't get the disconnect to disconnecct we have a set of line disconnects at the house and they are not long enough to get down in there. Is there any special tool that I need for this? Any help or know how would be awesome.

Thanks

Devin

Hey there guys and gals,

When i got my comanche I guess the guy had put and after market radiator in and instead of taking the time to get the quick disconnect off he just cut the line put some fuel line and clamps on it and thought it would work. Well after i replaced my tranny it was spraying tranny fluid everywhere, like a quart a day.

My problem: I salvaged some tranny lines from my local JY for $20 instead of $180 brand new. Sounded good to me. But i can't get the disconnect to disconnecct we have a set of line disconnects at the house and they are not long enough to get down in there. Is there any special tool that I need for this? Any help or know how would be awesome. Thanks Devin

$180! You can pick up new lines and fittings at RockAuto mucho cheaper than that. These are such a PITA to replace I wouldn't use junkyard stuff. Here are the part numbers you'll need:

Pressure Hose 624301

Return Hose 624300

Metal tube 624334

Fittings at Tranny 800714

As far as the quick connects on the lines, I just used a cheap tool kit for these from NAPA (Part Number SER 3530); it was the 3/8" blue one if I remember correctly.

Try spraying some penetrating oil into the connection. Then put some lube of your choice (a little grease) in the connection and on the disconnect tool. Using an open end wrench slipped over the line and against the disconnect tool, lightly tap on the wrench till the tool goes all the way into the connection. The spring inside can be pretty stubborn at times and may require you to twist the disconnect tool around a little to make it open the spring and go in. Once the tool is all the way in, push inward on the line and then pull outward. With a little finesse the line should pop out.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hornbrod's post is exactly what I was going to say. I have now used rockauto's lines on 3 XJs and MJs and they have worked perfectly every time.

I really hate quick disconnects... especially ones low on the chassis that collect road grime. The one at the fuel rail isn't so bad.