Rear upper shock mount

Hey all,

I'm pretty new here but I have been reading since I picked up my MJ for FREE a little over a year ago. It is all basically stock- no lift or anything.

I've done a good amount of searching but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for so if this has been covered before please direct me to that thread.

The upper mount for my drivers side rear shock has had the threaded portion of the bolt snapped off. It was like this when I got it. It looks like the mount is welded to the frame and I do not own the appropriate tools or have the knowledge of how to repair this. Has any one here ever had this problem? is there a way to fix it or work around it without extensive fabrication or am I basically stuck unless I bring it to a shop?

thanks!

-Jim

Take it to a ratty looking muffler shop and give them 20 bucks to weld a bolt on to the mount for you so you can get a shock back on it.....(that is, if I'm envisioning the problem correctly).

Or see if there's a member close to you,,,then bring beer....should be all that's necessary. :cheers:

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm just outside of Boston MA, anybody up in this neck of the woods?

On a side not I registered it today and drove it on the road for the first time. It was a little bumpy (haha I wonder why) but it was still a little victory for me to finally have it on the road.

Thanks for the offers guys. After playing around with it for a few days I think I had better not attempt a highway trip with it yet. It had been sitting for a few years before I got it and I have not driven it far enough to trust it yet. It seems fine but I don't wanna get stuck somewhere because I over looked something. Its not my d/d so it can wait a bit.

For those interested its an 1986 long bed 4wd with the 2.8 v6. It also has a plow on it so my front springs are really saggy. I'll start another thread when I start to think about suspension upgrades. I do want to keep the plow on it. I gather the motor I have isn't be best but it runs great so I'm gonna stick with it till it blows up or something.

Cheers

Drive out to Worcester around 6-10pm and I can probably have you rolling again in under 10 minutes if you show up while I'm welding something else (most evenings.) I'm a block from the Denny's at Lincoln Plaza, right off 290.

Any evening next week except possibly Tuesday works. I'll be out wheeling this whole weekend though.

If you ever want to sell that plow... :brows: :D

My services are free to most CC members unless I lose blood in the process :rotf: I can weld pretty decently.