NJ changes law to be more lenient? HUH?

terrawombat

Old new to us NJ folks, but I am reaping the benefits of this big time. On August 1st, NJ passed a new law that only requires vehicles to pass an emissions test every two years - no more safety inspection or any of the other BS that used to fail all of my vehicles. So far I've gotten my YJ through, which would have failed before because the e-brake isn't currently connected as I need to replace one of the lines. Next on the list is my MJ Pioneer, which just got a new O2 sensor, catalytic converter and gas cap so it should pass with flying colors, even without the seatbelt buckles that attach to the floor installed :D

This has got to be one of the few times I can remember NJ passing a new law that actually benefited me...I'm going to use it to my fullest advantage until they change their minds. You should see some of the hoopties that are going through the inspection lines and are getting a valid sticker. What's better is the inspection guy that looks furious as he slaps a sticker on a vehicle with a tailpipe help up with bailing wire and four bald tires, but a perfectly functioning emissions system. We've taken away a lot of the power that these motor vehicle employees once had and damn does it feel good :D

now idk about you but id rather keep good breaks and other safety related stuff on my vehicle then try to keep the emissions up to snuf. none of the vehicles I'm in close contact with will pass emissions. but i can make them pas inspection. still i wish neither were ever invented

This new law has me a little scared because of some of the vehicles I saw go through the inspection station.

I will always keep my vehicles in tip-top shape, hence why I just spent $200 on front end components and I'm ready to drop another $250+ on all new brakes. My MJ that I intend on taking through inspection next week always failed because of a bunch of scratches in the windshield, which didn't affect driveability one bit, they just felt like failing me because they could. Neither my father or myself wanted to spend the $$ to get a new windshield so we wound up putting Farm Use plates on the truck that doesn't require an inspection sticker but only allows you to drive from farm to farm on 'farm business.'

This new law has me a little scared because of some of the vehicles I saw go through the inspection station.

I will always keep my vehicles in tip-top shape, hence why I just spent $200 on front end components and I'm ready to drop another $250+ on all new brakes. My MJ that I intend on taking through inspection next week always failed because of a bunch of scratches in the windshield, which didn't affect driveability one bit, they just felt like failing me because they could. Neither my father or myself wanted to spend the $$ to get a new windshield so we wound up putting Farm Use plates on the truck that doesn't require an inspection sticker but only allows you to drive from farm to farm on 'farm business.'

yea thats the problem with saftey inspections. they can and will fail you for stupid stuff

Up in Mass I never had problems with getting my 96 inspected... haven't had to deal with that with the other vehicles yet.

Sadly the safety inspections are an absolute joke, I wish they had actually done a full inspection, maybe they would have caught the rusty brake line I missed in my pre and post purchase inspections that burst and put me into a guardrail a few months later, causing me to buy a thousand dollars worth of tools, parts, and paint! :fs1:

They did figure out I had to fix my reverse lights though :roll: fortunately they thought my jeep was cool enough (and I knew exactly what was wrong with it and said I'd get the part within a week) that they just told me to fix it and gave me a sticker.

Programs like that may seem like a good idea on the surface, but they just become a huge scam and a tax on the poor (aka, those of us driving the older rigs). I feel the same way about emissions testing. just a big scam for more money.

we used to have sniffer tests here in Michigan many years ago.

Here in gallatin (TN) they have emissions tests. my mj barely has any O or HC so it passes fine, but any new car going through gets plugged up to a computer and fails if anything is abnormal. its rediculous. OH! and recently the fools decided that DIESELS have to pass an emissions test. to my knowledge not one diesel has failed, it is just some more governmental money scraping from the pockets of those who have no money to give. soapbox.gif

Programs like that may seem like a good idea on the surface, but they just become a huge scam and a tax on the poor (aka, those of us driving the older rigs). I feel the same way about emissions testing. just a big scam for more money.

we used to have sniffer tests here in Michigan many years ago.

Same in 'Bama, no stickers or tests required - ever. That's why you see a lot of raggety-a$$ junkpiles running the roads.

This is somewhat related as far as ripoffs. Every year when we re-register our vehicles, we get taxed for the book value of the vehicle (personal property tax) plus the normal registration fee. I don't know what "book" DMV uses, but it's normally higher than the KBB. Gets expensive when you have five vehicles. :headpop: Any other states do this?

This is somewhat related as far as ripoffs. Every year when we re-register our vehicles, we get taxed for the book value of the vehicle (personal property tax) plus the normal registration fee. I don't know what "book" DMV uses, but it's normally higher than the KBB. Gets expensive when you have five vehicles. :headpop: Any other states do this?

They probably use the NADA 'Business' guide, which you have to pay to get access to. NJ makes you pay sales tax on the vehicle each time you transfer the title. Since I purchase all of my cars/trucks for $500 or less, I always arouse suspicion and get a letter from the state treasury asking me for more tax money.

My father just 'gifted' me the MJ so I'm DEFINITELY getting a letter for that.