Need a recommendation for a head unit/radio

Comanche County

I'm redoing the sound system in the ZJ. I am stuck on which head unit to buy. I'm thinking the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 or the Alpine CDA-117. I'm leaning toward the Kenwood because it has 4V preamp outputs and built in bluetooth. I hate talking on the phone in the car...I prefer to keep my hands on the wheel. But I've read a lot of bad reviews about software problems and compatibility issues with the Kenwood 994.

I really don't have the $$ but the Infinity gold speakers in the ZJ were toast and I just couldn't take it anymore. I've already got two sets of Kicker 6.5" component sets, and some Kicker 12s for bass in the cargo area, plus two separate amps to run the components and the subs.

Anyone know anything about receivers? I'd like the one I get to first - sound good, then also have the following features: Ipod/Iphone integration (with an easy interface), CD MP3 WMA and USB capability, Bluetooth, and a good array of equalizer/tone controls.

I'd like to keep it under or around 300 bucks. I plan to pop on this in the next day or so.

crutchfield has a lot of good stuff. I've always been an alpine fan, but i have been very impressed with kenwood lately, so much so i have there door speakers in the mj along with my alpine head unit. Personally i would look at both an see what they have that meet your needs, i'm sure either company would be worth it

:cheers:

I took a chance and bought a head unit from a company I've never heard of - Dual. I've been very impressed with it thus far. I have an iPhone and iPod Touch and it has an interface that allows you to change the songs via the head unit and browse through them if you wish, although that's a little cumbersome if you're driving. It also charges the iPhone/iPod, which is a HUGE plus since I always forget to charge it before I go to sleep. The unit also has bluetooth wireless for hands-free, although I don't really use it anymore. At speeds over 45MPH people always complained there was too much background noise and couldn't hear me that good.

It's a Dual XHD7714 that ran me $139.99 last year - not sure why the price has gone UP on older electronics? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OK ... ss_product

I'm redoing the sound system in the ZJ. I am stuck on which head unit to buy. I'm thinking the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 or the Alpine CDA-117. I'm leaning toward the Kenwood because it has 4V preamp outputs and built in bluetooth. I hate talking on the phone in the car...I prefer to keep my hands on the wheel. But I've read a lot of bad reviews about software problems and compatibility issues with the Kenwood 994.

I really don't have the $$ but the Infinity gold speakers in the ZJ were toast and I just couldn't take it anymore. I've already got two sets of Kicker 6.5" component sets, and some Kicker 12s for bass in the cargo area, plus two separate amps to run the components and the subs.

Anyone know anything about receivers? I'd like the one I get to first - sound good, then also have the following features: Ipod/Iphone integration (with an easy interface), CD MP3 WMA and USB capability, Bluetooth, and a good array of equalizer/tone controls.

I'd like to keep it under or around 300 bucks. I plan to pop on this in the next day or so.

I would buy the Alpine, I have the CDA-117 new waiting to install in the Comanche this winter and I did my research and by the way the Alpine has 4V preouts too. I do like dare I say the Excelon stuff from Kenwood, but I am an Alpine guy. Having the bluetooth would be nice if it worked as advertised but I don't have a bluetooth phone anyway, and the truck is too loud to pick up my voice over the ambient noise. And if it's still you cup o tea you can buy the module. The only thing that the Kenwood has is a nicer display due to it's 5 line display. If you name your songs it's nice to see them, if not the info is just blank. The best way to choose is to go to the store and play with it for a while, the best one wins!!

Thanks for the input guys....

I did just what you said....I went to Best Buy in Temple and played with the CDA-117, I liked it but they were retards and couldn't get any sound out of it, not the radio's fault. But I got to play with it some none the less. No one near me (within 100 miles) had a Kenwood 994 on display so I just did the youtube thing to check it out. I thought the Kenwood had better "ease of use" as far as the interface went so....I ordered it from crutchfield.

It sorta puts a knot in my stomach because I too am a die hard Alpine fan. If the 117 had bluetooth in it, I probably would have went for it. But if the kenwood irritates me, it'll be on CL in an hour and a 117 will be on order to replace it.

I was a pioneer fanatic back in the days of the NEW IMPP stuff, but when I got my first Alpine the sound quality was night and day. Now I have heard some Kenwood Excelon decks and I must say they sound just as good. The interface on the deck is cumbersome because if you press the volume button you should be able to change simple settings like Bass, Treble, Fader and Balance. With Alpine now you have to get into the menu that the Best Buy guy had to look up online. It shouldn't take reading the manual to figure out how to do such simple things.

Alpine take note: Go back to the basics, the volume button is a multi-function button, the color of Alpine backlights are GREEN, not the trendy Blue, and better yet... How bout making the US versions with color change, not just the "R" models for Europe. O!! And how about bringing back the V-Drive amp, 27wX4 RMS, not this wimpy 18wX4 amp now.

I may not be an Alpine fanatic or supporter for long if the 9887 is the highest model and thus the most difficult to use not to mention having to buy the imprint to do anything.

Good decision, now about buying a Ford, that's entirely different!!