starter grinding

When I start the MJ I somtime hear a grinding.. it does start and will turn over.. other times it doesnt make a sound..

I havent pulled the starter yet to check the ring/starter gear.. but what do you all think..?

Starter might need to be shimmed or are one of the gears chewed up?

If it is an intermittant thing maybe the drive gear is gummed up and not fully engaging the flywheel at times. Shimming shouldn't be an issue unless you have had the starter out recently. At least the starter is easy to pull on our trucks :D

Amen to that! You can't get an appreciation for how easy it is to drop the starter until you try to do it on another vehicle. :D

Oh, and for starter issues, only once have I had a problem that wasn't electrical in nature. Make sure your battery cables are in great shape and corrosion free.

Sometimes the seloniod will NOT fully engage due to electrical issue (low current from battery or its going bad). This will cause a grinding noise when you crank and starters are tricky anyways one day it will lock up and you tap on it and it brakes free then 6 months later it want crank again after not haveing issues. :roll: check the current at the starter anbd your cables as pete mentioned.

Cole

At least the starter is easy to pull on our trucks :D

Just remember to disco the battery first, even if you are just pulling it off the engine to inspect things (and not actually removing it).

Learned that the hard way a long time ago, when I was in the army. Pulling a starter off a deuce (24V) and didn't disco the battery......positive post hit the framerail and it was like the 4th of July. I honestly thought I was going to die......

Be safe.

Jeff

well after further investigetion...

when I depress the clucth all the way it doesnt grind.. only when i don't floor it or donet puch it at all...

I havent pulled it yet.. was too busy parting out an XJ I have.