91MJ Parking Brake/Assy

My local Jeep dealer advises that my brakes are ok-however, the parking assembly is default - I need to be advised how to repair/replace, etc. - being 65 years of age I doubt if I can convert to console, where it should be. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Mathis

What part of the parking brake assembly is bad? Possibilities include the foot peddle assembly itself, the forward cable from the peddle to the "spreader," or either (or both) of the rear cables between the spreader and the rear wheels. On my '88, I had to replace the forward cable. It was still available 5 years ago, dunno if it is today. On the 87, I have to replace both rear cables.

Where are you located? If close to central Ohio you can bring it over to my place and we can put it up on the lift and se what we can do for you.

Charles

Thanks Charles - I'm in Russellvillle AR and the dealer simply told me your problem is in the pedal asssembly - no cable and no brake problem.?????????

What part of the parking brake assembly is bad? Possibilities include the foot peddle assembly itself, the forward cable from the peddle to the "spreader," or either (or both) of the rear cables between the spreader and the rear wheels. On my '88, I had to replace the forward cable. It was still available 5 years ago, dunno if it is today. On the 87, I have to replace both rear cables.
Mr President, thanks for your interest - however, my Jeep dealer said cables ok, brakes ok - the pedal assembly ????? is default and no longer available. I don't know what the pedal assy consists of nor do I understand the mechanics of it. I be old and dumb. Thanks for your help. Mathis

Dealers today aren't programmed to repair things, only to replace them.

It is possible that your peddle assembly is beyond repair, but it's not likely. They are fairly simple mechanisms. What usually happens is they get gummed up internally and the ratchet teeth don't engage when you step on the peddle. If that's the problem, you should be able to remove the assembly, clean it thoroughly, perhaps fiddle a bit to get the ratchet moving again, then lube it up with white grease and reinstall.

There may also be a small spring inside that's broken. A good hardware store or auto parts place should sell miscellaneous springs and you may be able to match one up from their assortment if you need one.

First step is you'll need to get the peddle assembly out of the truck so you can see what's going on.

before you tear anything apart try this, i was having the same problem with my e-brake so i took some rust penetrating spray and sprayed it all over where i could get it and worked the pedel up & down a bunch and it loosened it up and now it works. i also sprayed some silicone spray lube after i got it working and it's been fine for a couple months now. sure was easier then taking it all off and fighting it to get it back together.

If indeed you need a different e-brake assembly I have one on the parts truck that I could send your way just let me no. Just thought I would add these in if you decide to replace the whole thing.

Rokhound-mighty nice of you - give me a price and Ill let you know.

Mathis