Going to buy a used Comanche in hours! What to look out for?

Hello. This is my first post of, hopefully, many more to come.

I will be going to check out a Comanche 1991 in few hours. If I buy it, it will be my first car.

So I was wondering if someone around here could give me a hand by telling me any detail or particularity of this truck that I should be aware of at the time of buying, in order to decidde if make the purchase or not.

Any help, idea or suggestion is more than welcome.

Thankz in advance!

Frame rot if you live in the snow states. Rust in the floor panels of the cab if you live in the snow states. Both are fixable but you don't want anything major. Check for rusty brakes line too, those can pop under hard braking.

Bring a magnet to check for Bondo. Any rust = not worth what they are asking (Unless the price is sub $500)

Common sense, don't pay a grand for something you can see thru side to side. A good runner can have higher miles - check the frame at the rear hangers for rot - the cab/floor will be rough if it hasn't been taken care of.

Be wary of 1987-mid 1989 Manual Trans Comanches.

When looking at the MJ, keep in mind that it is 19 years old and it won't be perfect and will require some maintenance.

Bring a magnet to check for Bondo.

How is this good advice?

A magnet will detect metal through properly repaired dents.

if a dent is properly repaired, then all is good. :D a fridge magnet will not hold through much bondo and so will show if the fix was a hack job (as seems to be the norm for above the rear flares and the rockers). :thumbsup:

(as seems to be the norm for above the rear flares and the rockers).

I noticed that although my rig seemed fine, when I went to paint it I found a bunch of bondo in these areas. The odd thing was they were identical in there locations on both sides and it didn't seem to be done by your everyday body shop.

Was that from the factory that way?

don't think so. I've never seen it on a factory-paint MJ myself, but I've seen it on plenty of MJs that were touched up. right above the rear flares is prone to rotting from the inside-out.