AX-4/AX-5

Well, I have some more transmission questions. What transmission and transfer case came in an '85 Cherokee with the 2.5L and 4 speed, (#SF895300xxxx)? Would that be an AX-4 with NP231? I am wondering if it could replace my AX-5 in an '87 Comanche with the 2.5L? Would there be any disadvantages by switching from the AX-5 to the AX-4, besides losing overdrive and not getting as good gas mileage?

Is it possible to add 5th gear to an AX-4 "easily"?

don't know about adding 5th to a 4 speed tranny but the swap is simple I done mine the other way all i changed was the bellhousing but you shouldnt need to do that since your donor is a 2.5 mine was a v-6. Can I ask why your swapping them???

Cole

I'm thinking of swapping them because my current transmission is in bad shape. Bad bearings, apparently, from what others have told me. Could go with a rebuild kit, but would have no clue what to do. I found this tranny and t-case forsale pretty cheap and nearby, so I am just throwing around some ideas. But for now I am too broke to do the job right, so something cheap might be the best option so that I am prepaired when my tranny finally craps out. Feel free to set up a charity event to raise money for me. :laughin:

The t-case in an 85 XJ will likely be a 207 (part time) or a 229 (or 228 or whatever the heck the allwheel drive case was back then). It's also possible that the trans is a T-4. Either way it should be swappable.

Is the oil level in your current trans topped off?

the 231 is the better of all thoes cases... you have the 207... nothing wrong with that, especially behind a 4cy.

As for the Transmisisons.. yes you can swap them, I have thought of this actually since I have a 4spd, but wouldnt mind the overdrive, but I already get 27mpg with the 4spd and this sint my DD so why put all the effort in.

Well, I have some more transmission questions. What transmission and transfer case came in an '85 Cherokee with the 2.5L and 4 speed, (#SF895300xxxx)? Would that be an AX-4 with NP231?

Probably an AX-4 but possibly a T-4. Transfer case would have been an NP207. That will replace a 231 but it's not as good, not as strong, and the low range is 2.6:1 rather than 2.72:1 for the NP231

I am wondering if it could replace my AX-5 in an '87 Comanche with the 2.5L? Would there be any disadvantages by switching from the AX-5 to the AX-4, besides losing overdrive and not getting as good gas mileage?

Other than the disadvantages you mentioned, I can't think of any.

Is it possible to add 5th gear to an AX-4 "easily"?

Easily? Nope.

• 2 weeks later...

What transmission came in a 94 YJ with 4 cyl. 5 sp? Is that the AX-5? Would it fit into my 87 MJ with 4 cyl. 5sp?

From another thread I was told:

1) the holes on a YJ tranny are slightly offset, which means I would have to alter my floorplan slightly to allow room for the t-case.

2) I would have to swap shifter handles.

3) there may be differences with the tranny mount.

Does all this still hold true, if this tranny is swappable?

Are there any differences between this tranny and mine, in terms of input/output shaft lengths, internal/external slave, or spline counts?

A '94 YJ should be an AX-5. The transfer cases on the Wranglers were clocked slightly different from the XJ/MJ, but you actually may not need to hammer the floor pan -- or if you do, it's VERY minimal. My '88 MJ (4.0L) had an AX-15 and 231 from a YJ swapped in by the previous owner. He cut the shifter floor opening larger because he kept the YJ transfer case shifter, but I don't see any evidence that the floor pan was "massaged" to allow for the different clocking of the transfer case (and it IS clocked).

He also retained the YJ transmission shift lever, and it works fine. Stands up taller and straighter than the original MJ shifter, but I've gotten used to it and it's not a problem in any way ... except that it doesn't look original. At some point I will exchange it for an XJ/MJ shift lever, but only because of aesthetics and "purity," not because of functionality.

You should be able to use your bellhousing or the wrangler one from what I have seen. As far as the slave cylinder I don't know what a 94 would have but if you take a look at yours and then go compare it pretty easy to see (its on the Pass Side) if a brakeline looking tube sticks out that side Its internal. There may be easier ways to tell but thats what I look for. And the spline count from the tranny into the motor should aslso be the same. Hope this helps.

Cole