Wider stance?backspaceing question....again

i want to make my MJ have a wider stance and would rather not use spacers,so aside from wider tires I'm guessing the best way would be to buy different rims, what kind of back spacing should i use? is it more back spacing for wider stance or the other way around?what stock rims have what back spacing?

Erik

An aftermarket rim can be had in any backspacing you want. Its fairly common to see 4", and then too go with a wider wheel like maybe a 15x8, or a 15x10 and it will start to add up. Youll want to find a lower backspacing number than the stock 5 1/4". Now, as far as telling you what other stock wheels would have what you want, theres no way. I think aftermarket is your only option here.

I will get you some pics mine has a very wide stance american racing wheels bought for a ranger I do not like them they throw alot of road debris up on the truck and the driver. On a mud truck or one with large flares they would be great. I have really thought about selling them I just need to find something else I like your close so if your interested it them I might sell them since you close enuf to pick them up. Even if you do not want them but like the look I will pull one to get you the back spacing.

I had a set of American Racing Outlaw 2s on my MJ when I first bought it. It made it look so much better because the tires came out a lil more than the fender flares. I believe they were 4.25" backspacing with 235/75-15s

Sinkrun if Erik doesn't want them I am interested.. I liked my AR rims

I will get you some pics mine has a very wide stance american racing wheels bought for a ranger I do not like them they throw alot of road debris up on the truck and the driver. On a mud truck or one with large flares they would be great. I have really thought about selling them I just need to find something else I like your close so if your interested it them I might sell them since you close enuf to pick them up. Even if you do not want them but like the look I will pull one to get you the back spacing.

cool, keep me posted on the AR's, i had a set of OL2's on my 86 and i liked them. i have the stock steel ones on there now and they look good, but i want the wider stance more.

Erik

i want to make my MJ have a wider stance and would rather not use spacers,so aside from wider tires I'm guessing the best way would be to buy different rims, what kind of back spacing should i use? is it more back spacing for wider stance or the other way around?what stock rims have what back spacing? Erik

Yes, know what you are saying. I ended up using hub and wheel centric spacers from SpiderTrak. Though long and hard about it, and couldn't see anything structurally detrimental, as these spacers are machined for our axle hubs and wheels, and fit like a glove. I did add longer axle studs though to make up for the thickness of the disk brake backing plates. With stock drum brakes this is not needed as the spacer studs are longer than the stock axle studs. Absolutely no problems with them, and it allowed me to keep the regulation Jeep Ravine wheels that I like and that cleared my rear Explorer disk calipers w/o taking material off the calipers.

Hey Don, I was thinking about running spacers in the rear. I noticed that my 31" tires on stock jeep wheels rub the uniframe when wheeling.... Is that normal? How much did you space them out? Can you post a link to where you bought yours? :cheers:

I have 1.5" spacers (hubcentric) with stock XJ Canyon wheels. I also had to swap out longer studs (the stock studs only stuck out about an inch). Fine for Cragar steelies but not long enough for the spacer and the wheels. Looks great with 31's. No driveability or other issues on hiway or off road.

Hey Don, I was thinking about running spacers in the rear. I noticed that my 31" tires on stock jeep wheels rub the uniframe when wheeling.... Is that normal? :cheers:

No, can't say I've heard of stock offset Jeep wheels rubbing the frame unless the tires are real wide. You're not off-roading your beautiful truck are you Matt?

I think I bought mine here: http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/spidertrax-wheel-spacer-jeep-xjyj-whs002-p-943.html but not absolutely sure. They are 1.25" wide and even the rears out with the fronts. You might want to shop around.

I have been running spacers on the MJ for some time now.

I was a anti spacer guy for some time. I still think they can be dangerous if not installed and maintained properly. Having said this, they will and do work just fine if you keep up your end of the bargain. This is going thru the proper torquing and re torquing for the first couple hundred miles. Mine usually require doing this three times before they no longer loosen. SOME tell you its OK to lock tite them on. I do not.

As you may know, I am now running RUBY rims and 285/75x16 tires and although they will fit without spacers, they will rub the frame in the back. Also I haven't stuffed the fronts yet to check clearances as these rims and spacers. This rim is 8" wide and the previous rims used with the spacers 7" and didn't touch.

CW

Hey Don, I was thinking about running spacers in the rear. I noticed that my 31" tires on stock jeep wheels rub the uniframe when wheeling.... Is that normal? :cheers:

No, can't say I've heard of stock offset Jeep wheels rubbing the frame unless the tires are real wide. You're not off-roading your beautiful truck are you Matt?

I think I bought mine here: http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/spidertrax-wheel-spacer-jeep-xjyj-whs002-p-943.html but not absolutely sure. They are 1.25" wide and even the rears out with the fronts. You might want to shop around.

Thanks Don. And yes, I do wheel my MJ on the weekends. Been scouting out the property of a hunting camp (1400 acres) I recently joined. Rough logging trails and some small streams. No rocks down here and I go around mud not through it... (got an old Polaris Magnum 500 4x4 for that stuff) :thumbsup: :cheers:

I've been mulling over the same idea. Want to even out the look of front and rear. Aftermarket wheels with enough less backspace to make my rear wheels even in the fender well with the front would mean the fronts would stick out farther, unless I used maybe 7 inch on front and 8 or 8.5 inch on the back to compensate, but there goes being able to rotate all 4. So, for me, rear spacers with backspacing about the same as stock would be needed with aftermarkets, but those are hard to find in what I want. Being a 4 x 2 street jeep, I would like to get American Racing Torque Thrust D's, but they don't have back spacing of at least 5 inches in a 7 or 8 inch wheel :dunno: So, Spacers on the back and keep the stock wheels, I guess.

I do mild wheeling at most, and my 31's rub on a 2" lift with stock turbines. I am gonna get me a set of spidertrax's. What part # did you use, horn? I was lookin' at these:

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2288/.f

Those are for a 5" bolt pattern. I have Ravine wheels w. the stock 4.5" bolt pattern so I used these spacers:

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2286/.f