Front leaf spring questions.

There is a huge diff in wieght from front to back so the spring rate isnt going to make driving fun. You need a higher spring rate front spring. Might try a YJ spring and axle seems to me it would be an easy swap if the leaf mounts on the axle will align with your frame mounting location you are fabbing. And by saying easy I am not saying its not going to be hard it WILL be a tough job but if all the brackets on a YJ axle align with what your doing that takes alo0t of fab work away from the job. :brows:

Cole

the springs are pretty stiff, RE springs...

i think ive got him convinced to go with YJ springs, but theres no way he's ditching his D30... brand new ARB locker with 4.88s and chromollys. we've got some fab work ahead...

what size YJ spring would give an XJ 6"or so of lift? we're thinking SUA to retain his 1ton steering setup.

This is gonna be ugly. In order to get hat much lift you're going to need a seriously arched spring (if I had a pic of my waggy springs I could show you what I mean, and they are SOA) or REALLY low hangers.

I'd recommend looking at a different steering setup... What's he running? Inverted T? Because you can make a lot of lowsteer work with SOA other than inverted T/Y setups, basically.

35" BFGs

looking for 6 or so inches of lift. SUA so that we don't have to eff with highsteer

?????

Doesn't matter if the springs run over or under the axle, or if you use very long coils. At 6 inches of lift you are going to have serious steering geometry problems, and if you think running the spring under the axle is going to make that disappear you are mistaken.

his steering geometry is actually pretty good, he's already got one-ton steering from JCRoffroad which changed it to where the tie'rod goes all the way from knuckle to knuckle and the draglink goes from the pitman arm to the knuckle. the track bar and draglink are just about level. and it steers perfectly fine. (already sitting at 6")

Huh? He has crossover? He can go SOA without steering mods then....

Unless he's running the inverted T setup that JCR sells (which I think you mean), and then it won't worth worth crap SOA.

possibly the inverted T, you're probly right.

whatever it is he was looking to stay SUA but i think we're decided that longarms are a better option for him anywyas. BrettM talked to him over on NAXJA and said it wasnt worth it on a D30 anyways.

but thanks for the input/help anyways guys!

I'm still considering YJ front suspension on my MJ.

It's easier to build long arms than it is to convert to front leafs...

So, anybody who ever thinks that front leafs are easy, well, think again.

I'm not really looking for easiness, but ive always though front leafs are completely badass. and i think it'd be fun to do.

but when i first lift it she'll prollly be running RE drop brackets for a while.

if you're keeping the D30, just build longarms ar get RE drop brackets. I went to front leafs because I was going to a D44 and didn't want to mess with the bracketry on the axle. A 3.5" YJ leaf SOA gives about 7 inches, so to get 6 inches SUA would require about an 8" YJ spring, which I don't think exists. A 4 inch Waggy spring might get you close... but again, keep it coils if you're keeping it D30.