worth the buy?

SW86

hey everybody. I'm a noob to the forum but not wheelin'. anyway ive got a chance to pick up an 88 MJ 4x4 4.0 Auto short bed thats spray painted camo for 1800. it has a few "issues" like, brake line has a leak, exhaust manifold gasket is leaking, ac will leak inside the cab when the ac has been running awhile, pretty much this thing will piss on you hahaha. it has 112000 original miles, decent tires and comes with a rear locker and tool box. it runs and drives also. okay okay pics

I'm heading out in the morning to check it out and more then likely buy it unless theres a $#!&load of rust under it but i doubt there will be. just wanted to get your guys opinion. thanks

Price seems a little high for the problems you state. I will have to let the other guys from your area to chime in (since they will be more accurate for your area), but around here, if it were me, a fair price for would be no more than $1000 with a decent body. And believe me, take a good look at that one. Camo paint jobs aren't just for hiding in the woods, they hide crap body work pretty decent too.

Rob L.

bring a small magnet with you to check for bondo. :thumbsup: and pear up at the insides of the bedsides, the floors and frame, and the inside lower edge of the doors. and pull back the carpet as best you can to check for rust, moisture or funny smells.

thanks. i was going to be another cherokee guy but finding a two door in decent condition is harder then finding an MJ just about. so i went past a few $#!&ter cherokees and this MJ popped up and i was sold just from those two pics. i hope its not a lemon though. he wanted 2500 and i said no way i offered 2000 not to offend over the phone but I'm going to lower it for sure in person. if he wants to sell it, he'll take my offer. if not. :dunno: guess my search will carry on

and trust me, ill give it a good lookin over. maybe even pull up a carpet lol

edit:

i typed all that before someone else posted but I'm not worried about the front clip for bondo. those parts are cheap and i can get from a cherokee correct.? the bed i hope is still good, if not, hello new tube flatbed :thumbsup:

haha that makes sense. we don't really have a rust issue down here though but i will take a magnet cause that bedliner on the sides is starting to make me wonder. thanks for all the impute guys

@#$%, i bought it. :yes: its in good condition but has a few issues like i said before. yes there was slight surface rust but only from where whomever hit something and didnt repair it. no biggie. the ac leaked all on the floor for however long and guess what.....NO RUST! theres a baby speck on the pass side thats it. idk about the drivers i havent taken that side out. i pretty much just took a razor and did a little surgery lol. carpet was old and smelly anyway and would just get in the way of my muddy boots :thumbsup:

be on the look out for a MJ project thread cause I'm going to need help :dunce:

pics will follow tomorrow after work. sorry lol

couldnt help myself this morning and cut out the driver side carpet. a few flakes of rust but about the same as the pass side. now i just need to take out the bench seat, pull the carpet and POR-15 it. ive always read on the cherokee forum that they all seem to use it on the floorboards. is it worth it and does it hold up though? also ive got a little play in the front driveshaft. i take it that thats not good

thanks guys