Seat Upholstery Options?

I'm thinking about having my seats recovered since I'm redoing my whole interior. I was originally thinking about doing all vinyl since its easier to clean. I just put a new headliner in (light gray) and I can't look at it funny without it getting dirty. Anybody have any suggestions/recommendations? Vinyl, canvas, cloth, leather? I'm thinking solid dark gray or dark gray with a lighter gray insert. It all depends on what the upholster guys says it will cost.

Here is the interior now with out the bucket seats:

For seats.........I'd take Cloth over vinyl any day :yes:

If you have the budget.......go Leather :D

I found it best to find the small old, well established upholstery shop, there well experienced, been around for a long time, and usually have the best prices for the better workmanship.

Last time I price out having 2 buckets done in cloth, I got a price of $150. And that was with the seats removed, dropped off, and picked up.

Don't forget about the JY. I found some nice covers out of a Cherokee. They were very dirty and stained but the fabric was in great shape, a little overnight soak in Oil Eater (available at Costco) and some scrubbing and they turned out like this. Had to do a little modification for the levers since they were out of a 4-door.

These are JY seats; actually this is like my 2nd or third set. I keep robbing different ones for different parts. My last set cleaned up really well, but they were 4 dr. XJ seats. I found these 2 dr. seats on my last trip. The upholstery shop I'm trying has been around for quite some time. He recovered my headliner and visors for a fair price, so I'm hoping it won't be too pricey.

Don't forget about the JY. I found some nice covers out of a Cherokee. They were very dirty and stained but the fabric was in great shape, a little overnight soak in Oil Eater (available at Costco) and some scrubbing and they turned out like this.

:agree: I used a pressure washer & detergent on a set of Laredo 2-door buckets on the covers, and they looked almost new. Then found a complete NOS set of 2-door XJ Laredo bucket seat covers on Ebay only listed by the part number w. no application data! Bought these for very cheap and sold the old covers I had cleaned for mucho more than the new ones. Lucky on that one. :D

BTW Fiat, what is that apparition between your seats? See the dog above, but the seat levers look like devil dog eyes peering out. :cheers:

Go with cloth. Vinyl gets too hot in the summer and cold in the winter. There is a great thread on seats in the DIY section here. Gave me the courage to tackle a bench to bucket conversion. Found a ratty pair of wing back buckets from a 2 door XJ and a near perfect set of wing back buckets from a 4 door XJ. Put them all together and have very near perfect buckets installed. While I was at it, had a storage pouch built into the seat backs with extra seat back material from the old seats.

Think you will have a real problem finding really good leather seats or covers.

I have Iggee seat covers in my wrangler and I absolutely love them.

I'd buy a pair for the comanche if they made them. The vinyl is much easier to clean and I think I'd have a hard time finding a cloth I'd be happy with. I'm not worried about finding covers cause I'm just going to have the upholsterer make me new covers for the seats. Vinyl is kinda hot in the summer, but if I'm happy with it in my TJ, then I'm sure I'll be fine with it in the MJ. I got a sample piece today, but I'll have to wait on the price estimate.

BTW Fiat, what is that apparition between your seats? See the dog above, but the seat levers look like devil dog eyes peering out. :cheers:

Just my 12 year old Lab/Pit, they kind of look like nipples on her chest :rotf:

Don't forget about the JY. I found some nice covers out of a Cherokee. They were very dirty and stained but the fabric was in great shape, a little overnight soak in Oil Eater (available at Costco) and some scrubbing and they turned out like this.

:agree: I used a pressure washer & detergent on a set of Laredo 2-door buckets on the covers, and they looked almost new. Then found a complete NOS set of 2-door XJ Laredo bucket seat covers on Ebay only listed by the part number w. no application data! Bought these for very cheap and sold the old covers I had cleaned for mucho more than the new ones. Lucky on that one. :D

Those levers are the seal fold levers. the seats are reversed in position- look at fore and aft adjust levers.

I probally would go with vinyl. All you have to do is wipe it clean. I have the bench seat in mine and I have a light grey on the inner part of the seat, to match the door panels and a darker grey to matche the dash and I threw in some blacke piping. Just an idea.

I probally would go with vinyl. All you have to do is wipe it clean. I have the bench seat in mine and I have a light grey on the inner part of the seat, to match the door panels and a darker grey to matche the dash and I threw in some blacke piping. Just an idea.

Any pics?