Clacking sound?UPDATED

OK, so I'm just looking at a u-joint then, right? :dunce:

:mad: DANG PA POTHOLES!

Eric is it still broken?

Sure is :(

Erik

Eric,

Did you change out the U Joint? Its very apparent (from your video) that the bearings under the one cap of your front U Joint are completely GONE!! It needs to be replaced.

A couple posts back, near the bottom of the first page there are some good links on how and what to do to correct this. As I said, this isn't a hard project. Its something everyone wheeling a jeep should know how to do. Post up if you have problems.

CW

Kick all you want, bud....you and I have different FSMs. Mine doesn't have lettered sections, the sections are numbered 1-25, so if I were to refer you to say section 2 (FRONT SUSPENSION) pg 2-15, fig 7 "Hub and tapered roller bearings (4WD)", you wouldn't be any more impressed than I am. None of you seem to care about helping smithe1811 with his problem. So, all things considered, you obviously don't care for my input, and I don't particularly need yours ...

so long y'all......good luck, Erik.

Harper/Eric,

Whats your deal bud??? We are here to find information and fix the problems at hand. Why are you piling on the Drama??? A couple of us have told and shown you that your information is wrong. You say you know what a spindle is, yet you quote information form your FSM as if it where gospel even after numerous people have corrected your source. Are you sure of the FSMs application? Also and for future reference, what is the title as its increasingly apparent that this book is wrong and should not be relied upon for information as it applies to the D30 axle. Take a breath, sit back, READ and let this soak in and maybe you will learn a thing or two. 8)

section 2 (FRONT SUSPENSION) pg 2-15, fig 7 "Hub and tapered roller bearings (4WD)",

As stated, our D30 axle uses UNITIZED hub bearings. These are sealed, NON serviceable units. Tapered bearings do not reside in these axles hubs of this axle. They DO reside in the 2WD beam axle found in 2WD trucks. It's either the wrong FSM for our trucks are a simple mistake from the publisher/printer. That's it, end of story.

So, all things considered, you obviously don't care for my input, and I don't particularly need yours ...

Any information provided and not needed need simply be ignored, no further comments are required. No one is attacking you, just the incorrect information you have provided. It's simply not accurate, regardless of source. It's no reflection on you unless you continue this tact. We are all here to have a good time and enjoy commonalities with our trucks and daily experiences. Some members have more information to offer than others. Some if it is actually accurate, others...not so much. It doesn't matter what you bring to the table, all are welcome. :cheers:

CW

As stated, our D30 axle uses UNITIZED hub bearings. These are sealed, NON serviceable units. Tapered bearings do not reside in these axles hubs of this axle. They DO reside in the 2WD beam axle found in 2WD trucks. It's either the wrong FSM for our trucks are a simple mistake from the publisher/printer. That's it, end of story.

Actually, the early (Renix-era) hub/bearing units are serviceable. The procedure is discussed in the early FSM and you can (or could, I haven't checked recently) buy the individual bearings and seals from Quadratec. But it requires a heavy-duty hydraulic shop press to do the work, and if you add up the prices of all the parts they equal or exceed the cost of just buying an entire new hub unit.

The newer hubs use straight roller bearings rather than tapered and they are not serviceable.

But neither style of unitized hub/bearing involves a spindle. As you point out, that was only on the earlier 2WD models. And then somewhere around 1994 (??) they changed over to using the same hub/bearing units on the 2WD vehicles, with an outer stub axle that ends in a flat plat rather than a yoke for the u-joint.

Eagle,

I am aware of this, based on the limited years this applied to, the equipment required, the ease of complete replacement coupled with the cost associated. I didn't want to "muddy" the water any further confusion. :roll: ;)

CW

OK, so I'm just looking at a u-joint then, right? :dunce:

:mad: DANG PA POTHOLES!

Eric is it still broken?

Sure is :(

Erik

Eric,

Did you change out the U Joint? Its very apparent (from your video) that the bearings under the one cap of your front U Joint are completely GONE!! It needs to be replaced.

A couple posts back, near the bottom of the first page there are some good links on how and what to do to correct this. As I said, this isn't a hard project. Its something everyone wheeling a jeep should know how to do. Post up if you have problems.

CW

its not that i tried something and it failed, i just haven't done it yet is all. i drive my truck maybe 4 miles a day, and if I'm not working late, I'm chasing my kids around or helping someone else with a problem or task. i do give thanks to everyone who responded and as soon as i replace the u-joint i will let yall know how it worked out and if that completely fixed it or if something is still amiss. so image_209027.gif for everyone!

Erik

The problem is, every time that old joint bangs around in there it's egging out the once-round holes in the yokes, and if those holes get too far out of round and/or oversized, the replacement bearing caps won't stay in place. At that point, you're looking at new axles instead of just new u-joints.