gear compatibility

Finally got around to checking diff in rear of 86' comanche that won't roll more than 15 ft in either direction without binding up,"axle wrap"? Assuming front has stock 3:55's,the rear has been changed out to 4:11's housed in a dana 35c. Will check front but was still hopin' for input from you guys if you can respond soon. It's 2.5L with lift and 31x10.5x15's. Want gears that will provide best for both on and off road.Maybe upgrade to 4:56,4:88's? Appreciate your input! Still playin' hell postin pic.But can be seen on cardomain.com. Thanx...............ko :chillin:

Stock 4cyls got 4:10's and there is a rumor about some being 4:56.

SO with out seeing yours and knowing the D35 aptitude for breakage... :eek: :D I am going to guess someone swapped out the REAR with one of the WRONG gear ratio.

BUT, this will only be a problem if you shift into 4WD. In 2WD this will cause NO PROBLEMS. If you plan on running like this, (Its OK to do) I would recommend you remove the FRONT drive shaft, so there are NO MISTAKES. There will be NO binding i n 2WD. Sometimes the front axle/T-case takes a few feet to completely disengage before you get back to 2WD. You could jack up the front end and turn it by hand to be sure its completely disengaged.

As far what gears to go to that's a tough one. Personally I would go as numerically high as you can and that is 4:88's with the D30/D35 axles.

CW

Don't sink money into a Dana 35 EVER! Go find yourself an MJ/XJ Dana 44 or an Explorer 8.8 and sink your mnoney into something that will last.

Axle-wrap is a term used to describe when leaf springs bend due to torque applied to the axle. Essentially, the axle will try to rotate the opposite way that the tires do. What you seem to be experiencing would probably be better termed as binding in the driveline like you said.

2.5L + 4 speed stick = 3.55 gears and the trans is an AX-4 or the rarer T-4

2.5L + 5 speed stick = 4.10 gears and the trans is an AX-5 or the rarer T-5

2.5L + 4speed auto = 4.56 gears and the trans is an AW-4

2.5L + 3speed auto = ??? gears and the trans is a 999 or 904 or something like that. It only happened in 86 MJ and 84-86 XJs.

I would go with junkyard 4.10 axles if money is tight, but if you've got the money to get gears changed, then 4.56 minimum.

Don't sink money into a Dana 35 EVER! Go find yourself an MJ/XJ Dana 44 or an Explorer 8.8 and sink your mnoney into something that will last.

Axle-wrap is a term used to describe when leaf springs bend due to torque applied to the axle. Essentially, the axle will try to rotate the opposite way that the tires do. What you seem to be experiencing would probably be better termed as binding in the driveline like you said.

2.5L + 4 speed stick = 3.55 gears and the trans is an AX-4 or the rarer T-4

2.5L + 5 speed stick = 4.10 gears and the trans is an AX-5 or the rarer T-5

2.5L + 4speed auto = 4.56 gears and the trans is an AW-4

2.5L + 3speed auto = ??? gears and the trans is a 999 or 904 or something like that. It only happened in 86 MJ and 84-86 XJs.

I would go with junkyard 4.10 axles if money is tight, but if you've got the money to get gears changed, then 4.56 minimum.

Mine's 2.5L + 3speed auto = 4.10 gears and the trans is a 904.

31s aren't too much bigger than stock, so gearing down to 4.56 or 4.88s, would lose quite a bit of road worthiness.

If you find your stock ratio, you can use this link, http://www.rocky-road.com/calculator.html , to figure out what your new ratio should be to keep the gearing similar to stock tires.

YEP! 3:73's in front. Got a connection for 4:11's to match rear until I do a complete axle upgrade. Considering a locker for the rear,don't wanna spend time and money on air locker until axle swap. Any suggestions for the weak dana 35c? Appreciate all the help from you guys,this site is killer! :chillin:

Aussie or Elocker...I hate my lockrite but if you wan tit I will consider selling it for the right price but you would have to wait alittle bit for it since its still in the truck. I also have a carrier with 4.10s out of a xj.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt there a carrier brake at the 3.55 range????I was thinking you would have to swap carriers if you went Lower (numerically higher) gears with a 3.55 carrier???

Cole

ive got a lock-right for sale, never had any problems with it (even on 33's in a D35, [wheeling in 2wd which=lotsof gas]. behind a 4.0)

it was fine on road and off, locked up good, unlocked good so long as you didnt punch the gas in a turn.

PM me if you've got an offer.