My first MJ!!

I am new here!! I just picked up my first MJ about a week ago and I'm excited to say the least!

I have owned a couple of XJ's now I am venturing into MJ land.

Specs:

88' MJ Short Bed, 170,000 miles

4.0L

5 speed BA10

D30/D35

231 t-case

Bucket seat/ Center console swap mostly done.

Secksy Maroon/Black paint and interior.

This will be a slow build as I need to keep the XJ on the trails for the summer and I'm not quite sure which direction I'm gonna go with it just yet as far as modding it.

Right now the priority list goes like this:

Swap the BA10 for the good BA10 I got. (unless I come up on an XJ drive train for cheap for the AX15 swap)

Fix a couple leaks.

Trans mount/ Motor mounts.

Finish installing the seats and interior.

Take care of surface rust on the floor.

Then there is little odds and ends to get it on the road.

Here are some pics:

n1cvhu.jpg

6pq2qc.jpg

s0zubr.jpg

9vh3sn.jpg

id6l3t.jpg

2evtbw8.jpg

I ripped out alot of the interior today and found some soggy carpet and alittle surface rust.

2ivz98i.jpg

j9y7uo.jpg

The rust really isn't that bad and I should be able to take it off with a wire brush attachment on my drill. I haven't decided what I'm gonna cover the floor with once its removed, maybe herculiner? paint? Any suggestions?

Also a note to self: While trying to hide that the MJ isn't registered yet from the HOA do not park backwards in the driveway otherwise the rear pinion seal will puke gear oil at a rapid pace.

Thanks to everyone in advanced as I'm sure I'll have some questions about my new baby!!

Welcome to the club! :waving:

just expect that the rust will come back. Huculiner will simply mask the growing problem. paint will immediately show you any bubbling spots. Probably the best will be POR-15, which chemically bonds to the surface to prevent oxygen from getting to the steel. But even then, rust in the seams can exist. I hate rust. :(

Why swap one crappy ba10 for another Crappy ba10? Doesn't matter if its fresh off the AMC shelf, its a crappy trans. You already have a roadworthy XJ, have patience and that AX-15 will show up :thumbsup:

Other than that, nice rig, and nice floors. Some of us aren't so lucky.... I hate rust too

I took the wire brush to it and it looks pretty good. I was thinking about just doing a rusto job to it that was suggested from the guy I bought it from on naxja. I'll take some pics after the wire brushing I did. You kinda make it seem that the rust problem is a losing battle. I thought about POR-15 but wasn't sure if my problem is that serious. I'm open to any suggestions and will take any advice you professionals have, I hate rust too and want my MJ to be around for a long time. Thanks again!!

I took the wire brush to it and it looks pretty good. I was thinking about just doing a rusto job to it that was suggested from the guy I bought it from on naxja. I'll take some pics after the wire brushing I did. You kinda make it seem that the rust problem is a losing battle. I thought about POR-15 but wasn't sure if my problem is that serious. I'm open to any suggestions and will take any advice you professionals have, I hate rust too and want my MJ to be around for a long time. Thanks again!!

POR-15 is the way to go man , good stuff !

If you can get it down to bare metal, you can whip the rust problem once and for all.

The only problem is that these are unibody rigs... pressed and stamped and spotwelded sheetmetal. You can never properly get rid of the rust between two pieces of spotwelded sheetmetal :( that's how I lost 3' of the bottom of each frame rail under my cab, the rust started and just expanded the metal, grew more rust, and kept doing that till the two 1/8" sheets of metal were 1/4" or more apart and completely converted to rust.

Well here it is after a little wire brushing:

20arv2g.jpg

1e0zkk.jpg

I used my drill with the wire brush for the big stuff then took my Dremel with the mini-wire brush and tried to get the seams the best I could.