Home Brewing

beepbeepmyredjeep

Who else does home brewing? What have you made?

I've been brewing wine for about a year now in my spare time.

First batch was bottled Nov. 2009, and was made with fresh grapes.

Second batch I'm in the process of bottling, and was made with fresh strawberries.

After this batch is bottled I'm going to be giving the wine making a break, and helping my father in law make some beer. My equipment can be used for both.

:cheers:

Homebrew is my other hobby. Just emptied a keg of Oktoberfest and a keg of Irish Red Ale. Brewed an American Brown Ale called Caribou Slobber last weekend and brewing a Schwarzbier next weekend. Also vint wine. Made a Liebfraumilch last september and have a Port in the carboy ready for bottling. Next wine will most likely be a Riesling. I try to have 2 kegs in my bar full at all times, however, I got nothing ready to drink besides bottles of Shiner, Dogfish Head, Spaten, and Weihenstephaner. :cheers:

My father in law has been doing this for years, extensively experimenting with flavors.... including a Jalapeno wine ( made with a white grape base) that can only be drank in shots because its so friggin hot, you won't want to drink it any other way. Cool stuff... keep it up!

I thot it went:

Vinting - wine

Distilling - hard liquors like Whiskeys etc.

Brewing - beer

Wonder where Cognac falls...

I would love to have my own distillery.

Brewing and Vinting are an extremely similar process. I simply refer to beer making or wine making as home brewing for simplicity sake, since my equipment works for either.

Sadly, distilling Whiskey without a license has never been made legal for home use since the Civil War.

Home-made spirits are in the genes I guess. My great grandfather helped run trucks full of whiskey from Blue Blazes Still...

http://www.ellenjaye.com/blueblazes.htm

http://www.nps.gov/archive/cato/hrs/hrs4a.htm

He was there in the morning before the police raid that shut the still down. Ironically, I'm pretty sure we can trace my wife's family tree back to the Deputy Sheriff who was killed in the raid.

My Great Grandfather's biggest complaint was how tiny the "demonstration" still at Catoctin Mountain Park is, and confirmed to me they really did use a locomotive boiler for the distilling process. That's how big an operation it was.

Brewing and Vinting are an extremely similar process. I simply refer to beer making or wine making as home brewing for simplicity sake, since my equipment works for either.

Sadly, distilling Whiskey without a license has never been made legal for home use since the Civil War.

Home-made spirits are in the genes I guess. My great grandfather helped run trucks full of whiskey from Blue Blazes Still...

http://www.ellenjaye.com/blueblazes.htm

http://www.nps.gov/archive/cato/hrs/hrs4a.htm

He was there in the morning before the police raid that shut the still down. Ironically, I'm pretty sure we can trace my wife's family tree back to the Deputy Sheriff who was killed in the raid.

My Great Grandfather's biggest complaint was how tiny the "demonstration" still at Catoctin Mountain Park is, and confirmed to me they really did use a locomotive boiler for the distilling process. That's how big an operation it was.

illegal drugs and pointless violence from the revenuer man. (which of course makes it more fun,lol)

the helicopters will be here next month to do their anual snatch-and-grab of some of the pot that ppl grow around here. -same $#!&, -different drug. copperheadroad.lol.

I thot it went:

Vinting - wine

Brewing - beer

Cognac is basically re-distilled and aged Brandy .

I thot it went:

Vinting - wine

Brewing - beer

Cognac is basically re-distilled and aged Brandy .

I enjoy them both(Brandy and Cognac). Cognac is basically a type of brandy. I occasionally buy a bottle to break up the Bourbon/Scotch cycle.

WYK