h/o 4.0 swap

Think "everything" from the donor vehicle. I wouldn't even attempt the swap without having a 100 per cent complete donor vehicle sitting next to the gutted vehicle.

About the only thing that can be a variable is in the tranny/running gear. If you swap between manual and auto, there are computer issues to be dealt with. The HO AW4 tranny computer is integral with the HO engine computer. The Renix AW4 tranny computer is stand alone. I'm not sure, but I think there is a different HO computer for manual tranny equipped vehicles.

If you want a 4.o/auto, EVERYTHING needs to come from 4.0/auto HO.

Likewise for a 5spd. Wiring in the engine bay is different between the two.

I have a complete 5 speed or a complete auto HO harness, with matching computers as well as the crossover harnesses for the upgrade to make the rear harness wotk with the HO harness. I'm stripping my HO converted truck

I'm in the middles of a H.O. Swap in my 86.

I have 1 complete H.O. Donor XJ that I am taking the entire Dash, Cab/engine wire harness, ECU and TCU, engine, trans, motor mounts, cooling system (open), front driveshaft.

I am going to need to buy or make:

92 MJ 4.0 H.O. Fuel pump

Rear wire harness to fuel pump, Tail lights, license plate light

Rear driveshaft

I might be forgetting a few things.

I am going a slightly different route than most with the radiator so I won't need to change the radiator support (2.5 and 2.8 applications only) and I have a late 86 with the firewall fitted for the 4.0.

I think if you look around the net you will find that you can swap just the HO motor into your bay. You will have to delete the EGR valve. SO, if you have emmisions visual inspection in your state, then its probably a no-go.

The other problem is the Throttle body. The Renix won't bolt onto the HO intake. The HO won't directly plug into the Renix wiring. There are two solutions. The first an adapter plate. The other is to modify the wiring.

I don't think anyone makes an adapter plate, presently. Someone use to. If you have acces to a mill, I think you could make one yourself.

I have seen writeups and some firm sold a wiring kit for HO motor to Renix. Might look at Rusty's Off Road. Might do a search on JeepForum.com.

Tom

I think if you look around the net you will find that you can swap just the HO motor into your bay. You will have to delete the EGR valve. SO, if you have emmisions visual inspection in your state, then its probably a no-go.

The other problem is the Throttle body. The Renix won't bolt onto the HO intake. The HO won't directly plug into the Renix wiring. There are two solutions. The first an adapter plate. The other is to modify the wiring.

I don't think anyone makes an adapter plate, presently. Someone use to. If you have acces to a mill, I think you could make one yourself.

I have seen writeups and some firm sold a wiring kit for HO motor to Renix. Might look at Rusty's Off Road. Might do a search on JeepForum.com.

Tom

that only gives you a renix-controlled high output.

it is ALOT more dicking around for one, and it's an inferior operating system as well.

Tom

that only gives you a renix-controlled high output.

it is ALOT more dicking around for one, and it's an inferior operating system as well.

The OP wanted to know what or how to swap in an HO motor in place of a Renix. Everyone else was saying to do a full swap of wiring. That to me is a lot of work. I know, I am in that process. I did look into doing the wiring etc. for this swap. So, I'd say a lot less dickering around. The Renix might be inferior to an extent, but still gets the job done. There are some pluses to the Renix. Some of the Stroker guys like the anti-knock sensor the Renix has, and the HO doesn't. Also, the stock Renix gets a bit better mpg. I think mainly due to the EGR.

Tom

The OP wanted to know what or how to swap in an HO motor in place of a Renix. Everyone else was saying to do a full swap of wiring. That to me is a lot of work. I know, I am in that process. I did look into doing the wiring etc. for this swap. So, I'd say a lot less dickering around. The Renix might be inferior to an extent, but still gets the job done. There are some pluses to the Renix. Some of the Stroker guys like the anti-knock sensor the Renix has, and the HO doesn't. Also, the stock Renix gets a bit better mpg. I think mainly due to the EGR.

Tom

Retrofitting electronics to work with a motor that they weren't designed for is not exactly easier.

IMO, wiring comes out easy. dashes come out with 6 bolts and a bunch of screws. doing this swap, you eliminate ALOT of crappy designs...such as the cable speedo, and the EGR assembly.

my full wiring and engine swap took a friday night, saturday, and sunday.

buttoning it up was just a day the following weekend, and I was driving it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.p ... wap&page=2

See post #18. I just skimmed the thread. That is basically how I was going to do mine. I should have a '95 fuel lines and possibly the fuel rail if the OP goes this route. My opinion is it would be a lot less work than swapping all the wiring, dash etc. Many have done it and had good results.

Tom

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1021336&highlight=renix+swap&page=2

See post #18. I just skimmed the thread. That is basically how I was going to do mine. I should have a '95 fuel lines and possibly the fuel rail if the OP goes this route. My opinion is it would be a lot less work than swapping all the wiring, dash etc. Many have done it and had good results.

Tom

it also requires more thinking, and more keeping track of parts.

you get more power with a H.O. electrical setup.

First, OP Look here:

http://www.rockmodified.com/Tech/TB/tb_perf.htm

I didn't see a listing on HESCO's website for the wiring conversion. I remember it being $125.

"it also requires more thinking, and more keeping track of parts.

you get more power with a H.O. electrical setup."

You sure its the electrical stuff that makes more power? I think the torque is like 2 ft-lbs more and 12 hp more. Maybe its the heads and larger bore of the TB? You you mean I can't put on headers, flow the head, bore the TB etc on a Renix and get more power than a Stock HO? How about a stroker Renix? Think it would make more HP than a stock HO?

I also don't see it as more work or more complex than swapping out all the wiring, removing the dash etc.

A few more notes on the complete thread. I do see a listing for a chasiss control box for auto trans. This is also listed as a trans computer. There are also writeups on how to convert auto wiring to manual wiring. I don't know if I'll go that route or not. I did get a partial manaul engine wiring harness for a '98. I did read that the auto EMC will run a manaul engine, but you will get an engine code. I did buy an EMC for a manual engine.

Tom

pretty simple.

When I did the swap, I thought about not doing the whole swap.

BUT. I plugged and played it. I'm not even kidding when i tell you it is EASIER. you don't have to scratch your head and adjust anything. bolt and go. no fabrication, no expensive hesco parts. bolt and go.

wire a crossover adapter from the xj dash to the mj tail harness, and you're done. your fuel gauge will read backwards...big deal. find an H.O. mj sender. you eliminate all of the fail points of the renix harness.

BEST part of a full H.O. swap is that your wiring harness is no longer freaking retarded....it doesn't wrap around the entire front of your jeep...which means, in a light front end collision, you can still drive away in most cases.

can't do that with renix.

either way, it's a "to each his own" situation...but for ease of install, you bet your @$$ I'm doing a complete H.O. swap.

pretty simple.

When I did the swap, I thought about not doing the whole swap.

BUT. I plugged and played it. I'm not even kidding when i tell you it is EASIER. you don't have to scratch your head and adjust anything. bolt and go. no fabrication, no expensive hesco parts. bolt and go.

wire a crossover adapter from the xj dash to the mj tail harness, and you're done. your fuel gauge will read backwards...big deal. find an H.O. mj sender. you eliminate all of the fail points of the renix harness.

BEST part of a full H.O. swap is that your wiring harness is no longer freaking retarded....it doesn't wrap around the entire front of your jeep...which means, in a light front end collision, you can still drive away in most cases.

can't do that with renix.

either way, it's a "to each his own" situation...but for ease of install, you bet your @$$ I'm doing a complete H.O. swap.

Fair enough. Now I will lean towards a full replacement for the OP. Since He is in PA, I remeber state inspections. I did live there a few years. I don't remeber them letting you off of anything or much. It really depends on the EGR. If the inspection is a sight inspection or a tailpipe emmissions inspection. Basiaclly, is the ERG ain't there no pass. That would complicate swapping in an HO motor. You would somehow adapt the Renix manifold or cut and weld the ERG port of the Renix manifold onto the HO's manifold. I did breifly look into this. Also, removal of the EGR is against EPA Federal regulations. I seriously doubt you'd get caught, though. Except if your state has inspections. Chear up PA has way more trout streams than IN. Swapping in a newer motor is OK with the EPA. I'd check it out with an inspection station first though.

Now, during my build or swap, I did go into the direction of '95 wiring etc. I got the parts, but stalled out on that. I was also thinking about an interior update etc. I kind of lucked into a wrecked '98 Cherokee, for $500. I figured at that point, it would be easier to swap in that wiring, mainly for the instrument panel wiring. I also figured I'd be money ahead, since buying parts individually can get a lot more expensive. Also, I will be selling the engine and trans and other parts. Even if you go to a Pick-n-Pull. Still, it depends on the avialability of a donor and its condition of parts you'd need.

Tom

I am also planning this swap with a 92 XJ complete donor. What about the fly wheel? Does that need to be changed? Will the H.O. crank sensor work with the Renix Flywheel?

EVERYTHING must be changed to get a H.O.

motor included. the trannies are more or less interchangeable, tho.

Another option to the OP, is to port match or see about the feasability of a port match of the Renix intake to the HO head. Some people have port matched the 99+ intake manifolds to Renix heads. They only end up with 1/16 or so of wall thickness on the lower wall. I think that is a bit thin. I'd try and keep 3/16th to a 1/4 wall thickness. Also, there are expxies that are used by motor builders to reshape intake ports. Might see about using them instead of welding.

Tom