Help Resolving My MJ's tire eating habbits

Well ever since i got my rig (5 years ago) the front tires have always worn more on the insides (in the fenders) then the outside. Its has gotton so bad that i can't afford to drive it anymore. This is what i've done thus far:

Replaced front rotors, pads, calipers and hub assemblies over the past year

Replaced all ball joints 9 months ago

Had numerus alignments done at reputable places never realy correcting the issue (just a one pop waste of $80)

So my fresh 31" cooper stt are wedge shaped worn and cupped to 50% on the inner 4.5"s of threds after 10, 000kms

Some cheep street tires i decieded to put on went bald in the same spot after 3500kms :(

I realy need my dd back. See the following photos for my tipical ware pattern.

Any ideas, thoughts, thinks i can check/measure at home would be greatly appreciated :bowdown:

I'm buying this kit tomorrow and installing it this weekend if this doesn't work I may have to trade her in for something drivable :help:

http://www.northridge4x4.ca/proddetail.php?prod=CE-9701

Regards,

It's obviously toed out.

Any chance the axle's bent? Cs are bent? Replacing the tie rods won't fix the problem unless your current system won't keep an alignment. Even a bent tie rod wouldn't cause this problem. It'd cause it to be toed in, and an alignment would fix it.

Trading it in is overkill. Worst case would be a new axle.

Do an alignment yourself. http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html .... with GOOD tires on it, on flat, level concrete.

you need to see a printout of the alignment. that looks like you have negative camber. camber is not adjustable on a straight axle truck, and if its out, most tire monkey places will ignore it.

i'm assuming you've checked the front end, but it looks like you're replacing all the steering linkages. so after that, get a printout of the alignment, if the alignment is all in, and suspension is tight, you will not eat tires, bottom line.

rotate tires every 6k, but thats not the issue now, you do have something seriously wrong.

btw, negative camber on both wheels can be caused by jumping the jeep, and bending the front axle.

edit: the above post with the alignment link will not help you determine your camber, i think the camber is negative.

There is a possibility the axel is bent, i've never jumped the truck thats what my dirt bike is for lol. But i did crank some rail road tracks that were in terrible shape on a 100km/hr highway a while back (2.5 years). Would the tubes be bent or the frame that holds the ball joints, the axel tubes appear strait (either or would require a new axel just wondering though).

The steering linkage appears fine visualy i've always greesed it after an oil change.... I've never cranked anything durring my mild 4x4n adventure to realy mess it up.

I think this negative camber is a very high possibility the tires do almost look like the tops tilt inward a bit (very small). But i don't know for sure my glasses skew everything and is most likley the wedge shaped tires amplifying it. I may jack it up and hold a level to the side wall to see.

Unless i can think of anything ground breaking my plan of action is

1. Check current alignment with tape measure method as shown above to see where were at (if ok go to 2.)

2. Replace steering linkage

3. Get alingment done and review x-y axis print out for -+ numbers

4. If the above fails Replace axel and hope the replacement isn't fubar as well

Thanks for the help thus far :)

Oh one more thing... not sure this matters but at this point you never know. My passenger side coil has sagged a bit mabey 0.5"-1" from engine torque would be my guess. Is it possible the uneven wait could also amplify this ware. I can't see it being the primary cause but heck if i know :hmm:

I'd park it on a level garage floor & measure the height of the axle on both sides from

where the tube exits the differential to the floor and out on the ends from tube to the floor. Or take to an alignment shop and have them check the camber to see if its at 0 as a starting point to eleviate the problem.

you need to see a printout of the alignment. that looks like you have negative camber. camber is not adjustable on a straight axle truck, and if its out, most tire monkey places will ignore it.

Actually special ball joints on the front axle will allow camber to be adjusted, they are offset in the circle, although I cannot remember the part # now. These could possibly be used to correct a bent axle for the time being, I know at oreillys there are the Moog brand, and specialty products brand ball joints that are adjustable, and decent quality. You will have to ask specifically for them as counterpeople generally will not offer them, as they are pretty uncommon.

Good luck

I think this negative camber is a very high possibility the tires do almost look like the tops tilt inward a bit (very small). But i don't know for sure my glasses skew everything and is most likley the wedge shaped tires amplifying it. I may jack it up and hold a level to the side wall to see.

No, do NOT jack it up. Park it on a level, paved surface. Inside a garage is ideal, IF the floor isn't sloped to a drain or toward the door. Get an inexpensive angle finder like they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot. Set that against the weight ring on your rim so the angle finder is vertical, and read the camber. Read at the front edge of the rim and the rear edge, since the angle finder won't be tall enough to catch the rim at the vertical centerline, and average the readings. Repeat for the other side.

Camber can be corrected with offset ball joints, but they are pricey and a replacement axle might not cost any more than buying and installing two offset ball joints.

Unless i can think of anything ground breaking my plan of action is

1. Check current alignment with tape measure method as shown above to see where were at (if ok go to 2.)

2. Replace steering linkage

3. Get alingment done and review x-y axis print out for -+ numbers

4. If the above fails Replace axel and hope the replacement isn't fubar as well

Why start replacing parts before you know what/where the problem is?

O my goodness :doh: thanks for straighting me out :thumbsup: The angle finder method is brilliant it will at least give me a clue of how to proceed next. I do have a level garage to test this out. I'll put the near perfect rear tires on the front to get best results. And also go through the tape method to get some preliminary starting points. Can't wait till i'm off work tomorrow, i can see some hope

i have installed off set ball joints, and also shims in rear axles, and i've not been happy with the results, so i don't recommend doing it. we have a new top of the line aligner, that actually gives us part numbers and measurements for off set ball joints and shims, for the vehicle that is on the alignment machine based on the current measurements. after charging customers a few hundred bux a pop, and each time the vehicle was still not in spec.

Sounds like the steering knuckles are bent (unlikely) or the inner Cs (the balljoint frames you mentioned) are bent. Check the angle on the axle tubes like was said before, if they are not exactly the same you just plain need a new axle, the tubes or center section are at fault. If they are the same and you can see that the upper arms of the inner Cs are bent inwards somewhat you may be able to save it by removing the axle from the vehicle and liberally applying a 4lb hand sledge until the camber is back in spec (you need to measure, eyeballing isn't good enough) but it probably won't cost you more than a hundred bucks to just pick up a whole new frontend. Any XJ Cherokee up to a '99 would be a good choice of a donor, the later in that range the better because they're less likely to be rusted out and worn down.

If you end up needing yet another set of balljoints, I find alljeep.com usually has the best prices around. I picked up a set of Spicers for my WJ steering conversion on the XJ for under 100 dollars shipped to my door - that's for all 4 balljoints.