4.7L V-8 question

JACKED88

Best place to start is to ask if their worth a crap??? Been out lookin for a 99 or newer Grand Cherokee for my daughter. (an 02-03 is about the newest she can afford) Anyway, we've come across several with the 4.7 engines. Out of probably 5 we saw at least 3 of those ran like crap. Rough idle, throttle hesitation and just not tha git up and go I'd expect out of a v-8. One 4x4 we drove that did idle and responded pretty well to throttle still didnt seem to have much git up and go. Another 4x4 we drove ran really good having both great response and exceleration.

Are there any known common problems these engines are prone to?

Most of what we've seen have in the neighborhood of 80-100k miles . Not gonna buy anything with more than that and would prefer less like a couple we saw in the 70k mile range. We're looking for a Limited model having the exterior colors matched instead of ugly faded out gray plastics like on a Larado.

Two or four wheel drive doesnt really matter so long as it's not a full time QuadraTrac/Drive. She doesnt need 4x4 but if we find a nice SelectTrac we won't pass it up. In fact, we're looking real hard at an 02 with a 4.7 and SelectTrac.

I'm not new to tha used car game nore am I new to Cherokee's with 4.0's but any advise on what to watch out for on the 4.7 would be appreciated.

First thing to understand is that the 4.7L is at heart a passenger car engine. It has poor low-end torque and a high torque peak. I made the mistake of buying a '99 WJ with the 4.7. The lack of towing power was a HUGE disappointment. The engine doesn't start to do anything until over 3500 RPM, above which it cranks. But I'm a Jeep guy -- I don't confuse my Jeep with a Japanese motorcycle.

Others will disagree but I think the 4.7L is a very bad engine. Mine died after 14,000 miles and Chrysler bought it back to stop me going lemon law with it. A friend went against my advice and bought a 2001 or 2002 Overland with the 4.7 HO engine. His just blew up and it cost him several thousand dollars to have it rebuilt.

If she MUST buy a WJ and it MUST be a 4.7, DO NOT under any circumstances buy a 1999. Many of the problems were corrected by the 2000 model year, but a 2001 would be the earliest I would want to take a chance on.

I think the 4.7L V8 is a very good engine. I have one in my '07 Aspen and its pushing 81k heavy towing miles with not one hiccup. My neignbor has an '02 Ram with 4.7 V8 with over 180k miles. I helped him change his spark plugs for the first time last year, so I know it was not maintained like most of us here would maintain a vehicle. It is a very smooth V8.

Eagle bought his WJ the first year the engine was available... The early ones had PCV and other issues. The hemi has its problems too google it. I also have a 3.7L Liberty (4.7L less two cylinders) with 82k miles on it and it has caused me zero trouble. I'm more worried about 42RFE trans in it...

The 4.7L was Chryslers first truly new V8 in decades, but it was designed as a truck engine from the get go. Check out this link:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/47.html

I would love to see one of thes motors in a Comanche. I'm pretty sure you'd be the first. :bowdown:

I'll bet that 4.7 makes more torque than a you think at the same RPM that the I6 peaks and then contnues on... the 3.7 is made out of a 4.7 and it reaches peak tq of 230 only 500 rpms past the I6's and then has more room on the other end.

We see very few issues with these at the dealership. So far they are being a pretty good engine. We do see the occasional jumped rocker arm, but it is fairly rare when you consider how many of them are out there right now. I wouldnt hesitate getting one if thats what you want.... OH and they sound awesome with a flowmaster!

I used to have an 05 WK with the 4.7. The only reason I got the V8 was because you can't get the 4WD transfer case that has low range on the V6. It's a decent engine, but as mentioned before it's not a truck or an SUV engine. Drinks gas and not that much performance to show for it.

Honestly if I had to do it again I would have gotten a WJ with the I-6 and selec trac.

If she MUST buy a WJ and it MUST be a 4.7, DO NOT under any circumstances buy a 1999. Many of the problems were corrected by the 2000 model year, but a 2001 would be the earliest I would want to take a chance on.

Thanks for yalls replies on tha 4.7

She wants a WJ but it doesnt have to have a 4.7 in it. Problem is most of the Limited models we've looked at all had 4.7's in um. In fact, I'm having a hard time remembering one that didnt. The opposite seems to be true in the Laredo's. I can't remember seeing a Laredo with a 4.7 They all had 4.0's. (she doesnt want a Laredo)

Now that she has a baby and car seat to deal with she wants/needs a dependable 4 door SUV. For whatever reason her and her husband have their minds set on a 99-04 WJ. don't care much for tha changes they made in tha 05's and up. That and they can't afford one anyway.

We'll do as suggested and stay away from tha 99 model. I'll try to find her a clean 02-04.

What this about??? "I'm more worried about 42RFE trans in it..."

Whats wrong with um?

While we're at it ...... QuadraTrac/Drive II ........ OK or stay away???

Honestly if I had to do it again I would have gotten a WJ with the I-6 and selec trac.

:agree:

Exactly. I was seduced by the then-new Quadra-Drive system. That was also a disaster, and Chrysler changed over to a completely different system (also called Quadra-Drive) after two years (three,maybe?).

To repeat: DO NOT BUY A 1999 WJ WITH THE 4.7

What this about??? "I'm more worried about 42RFE trans in it..."

Actually, I meant to say "42RLE". It is the 4spd auto behind the 3.7L in the Liberty. Derived from a fwd chrysler trans. I've had my torque converter replaced under warranty and the trans still slams into gear on occasion. I'm never easy on it though (company truck).

The trans behind most 4.7L was a 45RFE (4speed) or 545RFE (5speed) auto. <- very stout transmission. Not sure what was behind the 4.0 I6 in the WJ?

:agree:

Exactly. I was seduced by the then-new Quadra-Drive system. That was also a disaster, and Chrysler changed over to a completely different system (also called Quadra-Drive) after two years (three,maybe?).

To repeat: DO NOT BUY A 1999 WJ WITH THE 4.7

So is that completely different system what their now calling Quadra-Drive II? If so, how is it any better than tha first?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_four_ ... ve_systems

I don't think I'm gonna let her buy a Quadra-Drive. Tha way I see it it's just that much more $#!&amp; that she doesnt need to break down on her. Again all she needs is 2x4. (although if we find a nice SelectTrac we won't turn it down)

My father-in-law has a 2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 with Selectrac. You could always pick up a laredo and replace the cladding and front and rear bumpers with the painted ones. Fancy wheels should be easy to come by. That could end up saving her money if she gets a good deal on it.

My father-in-law has a 2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 with Selectrac. You could always pick up a laredo and replace the cladding and front and rear bumpers with the painted ones. Fancy wheels should be easy to come by. That could end up saving her money if she gets a good deal on it.
She came pretty close to buying this 02 4.7 SelectTrac Laredo. It has all tha bells and whistles including an ele sunroof except no leather. :shake: (Who buys a vehicle with every optoin available but with cloth seats???) We have a pretty good hook-up at an upholstery shop so its cloth seats arent really a deal killer. Got um down to $5900 for it. Thats not bad but not great either.

http://www.nexcarauto.com/inventory.php

We're supposed to go look at this one today. http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1779389662.html

"no need to negotiate" my @$$. Although thats not a bad retail price its a little over what we wanna pay for an 02. I'm thinkin more like $6200-$6400 tops.