Looking to install new Shocks...help

I have a 88 MJ 4x4 i6 4.0l and am looking around for shocks... I wen to Bilstein, Re mono and OEM to see what was available... can't find anything. Does anyone have any advice or links for shocks? Maybe some good deals? I think that i have the original shocks still installed... very rusted..

If you just want to replace stock shocks?, no lift?, no major off road?.

Monroe Ultras, good, affordable, steady. Otherwise you can pay alot more for shiny shocks with a cool name.

If you're lifted, bigger tires, do alot of crawling or other off road action, keep searching, can't be that hard to find.

a 2 inch lift, or just to level the front out? Leveling the front you can use some coil spacers, or longer coils. If wanna lift the rear, throw a full length add a leaf out back. For shocks, if you are looking for expensive, bilstein in my opinion is the best. I got mine from here http://eshocks.com/bilweb/bilsite.asp?B ... inhome.htm

[quote name="88pioneer" I got mine from here http://eshocks.com/bilweb/bilsite.asp?B ... inhome.htm

I went here and there is no option for a Commanche MJ.

i'm not sure if the front end is lower. does it come like that stock? and if so, i guess i would like to level out the front. Sorry for not knowing... i am very new to this forum and working on my truck

Most, if not all pick ups come with a rake from the factory with the back end sitting a little higher than the front, so when a load is put in the bed the nose won't point to the sky, it will more or less level out. As for the shocks, they are set up like the rear with a 5/8" eye on each end which are very easy to install. The fronts are like cherokees with a bar pin on the bottom (2 bolts mount to the axle) and a stud that runs through the wheel well into the engine bay. You can stick with the front set up, but options are limited for many aftermarket shock companies. You can buy adapters to convert the front to be the same set up as the rear with the 2 eyes. http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index. ... ath=13_315. And, this site doesn't give you a certain vehicle option, just measurements that you would need to figure out. It may sound confusing but once you look, you will see how the shocks are set up. Hope it helps ya :thumbsup:

Sounds like you need part numbers, not BS. :D For OME shocks, as follows:

Front w. 1"-3" lift: OME N35 (firm) or N35C (Comfort) (15.25"-23.75").

Rear w. 1"-3" lift: OME N40L (15.6"-25.8") (Actually a ZJ shock, bar pin needs to be pressed out).

Sounds like you need part numbers, not BS. :D For OME shocks, as follows:

Front w. 1"-3" lift: OME N35 (firm) or N35C (Comfort) (15.25"-23.75").

Rear w. 1"-3" lift: OME N40L (15.6"-25.8") (Actually a ZJ shock, bar pin needs to be pressed out).

I think my butt drags more than Don's. :clapping:

Front N35/Rear N36L

Monroe has a good specs sheet that shows the compressed/extended shock length and the type of mounts for each shock they sell. I used that to buy front shocks that are much heavier than those listed for our trucks, and also to find rear air shocks to help level the truck with heavy loads. For instance, Monroe doesn't show an air shock for our trucks, but the MA820 air shock has the same dimensions and fittings, so it fit perfectly. I put these air shocks on the rear of my MJ and when inflated to 75 psi, they make pulling my 4000# boat much more comfortable. For the front, the 55016 Gas-matic severe service shock has spec close enough to the prescribed shock to fit perfectly also.

You can fine the shocks that are listed for your truck here (they only show 2x4 MJ, but shocks are the same for 4x4) http://www.monroe.com/catalog/ecatalog.asp

Then find the specs for the listed shocks and find shocks with the same specs here http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

My MJ isn't lifted, so shock lengths are for standard height, but you could probably use the spec sheet to find longer shocks for some not-too-radical lift applications.

I would like to add a 2" lift... not really sure what i need to do..

With a 2" lift you can probably get away with running stock shocks. If you decide to buy Monroe, though, do NOT buy the Sensatrac series with a lift. The Sensatrac has grooves machined inside the bore near the center of the vertical height so that at normal ride height some fluid bleed bast the piston, making a softer ride. As the piston gets farther toward either compressed or extended, the grooves disappear and the shocks stiffen up.

If you run those shocks with a 2" lift, the shock will ride at the top of the grooves and as the suspension compresses (on bumps) the pistol will move into the grooves rather than out of them, resulting in a mushy ride and poor handling. You're better off going one line cheaper, or getting the Reflex series, which use different technology.