My MJ and its problems

New to the board, have had my Comanche now for about 4-5 years, and still share it with my dad.

88 auto with the big ton package. Dana 44 in the back (but no factory limited slip which is weird/stupid considering my 87xj with a dana 44 had a limited slip). Rebuilt 4.0L with a .010 bore, forged pistons, HO 4.0 camshaft, and flowmaster custom pipes (no cat). Rebuilt trans. That was done about 6000 miles before we bought it 5 years ago at $2,000. Drove it quite a bit back and forth to school for 2 years. Flat towed a suzuki samurai a couple times and hauled 1000+ pounds of dirt and rocks on a few occasions.

Though its age is really showing. Lots of rust. Needed to have the passenger side frame in front of the forward spring perch patched big time; like a good 12 inches worth of frame on the bottom and both sides had to be replaced. And the driver side may need the same fix. The driver floor was completely rotted. I patched it, roughly, with an old computer case I had lying around the house.

The brakes are iffy. And with that height sensing valve it has to go to sve performance for service. One of these days it will need a rear disc convert and new master/booster.

Just recently replaced the transmission cooler lines and dropped in a new radiator then the NSS went kaput which so far has been bypassed but now the trans won't downshift when I tell it to and the power comfort switch won't work anymore with the bypass. So no heavy work. And the electric fan stopped working to boot.

And the heater smells pretty bad.

Buuuuut, I still won't get rid of it. Just need a place to find assistance when I have to fix her.

Just need a place to find assistance when I have to fix her.

Welcome... came to the right place!

Based on your description, I would pick up another for $500 with a straight body and a blown engine, then go to work on a drivetrain swap since yours is solid there.

At some point, she's going to just snap in half on you, and it doesn't sound too safe right now...

Sounds like my rust monster / basket case, I'm up in Worcester. Just got my fuel system, brake lines, and such squared away and freed of rust.

I had to patch about 3 feet of the bottom of one of the frame rails right under the cab. I need to patch the same section on the other side too, but haven't gotten around to it... need to dig the welder out of storage as soon as I get a garage lined up.

Need a replacement rear height sensing valve? I managed to pick one up, not sure if it works or not but it didn't appear to be leaking, not sure where it is in my storage unit but you're welcome to it if it gets your MJ working better.

I did clean the nss. Twice. It worked for about a day then absolutely nothing. I'll try it again but I either need a new brand new one or, someone on Jeepin suggested a remanufactured nss from ebay.

As far as the brakes go, I had the rear hard lines replaced along with the height valve a year ago. I mean they work, just not to the performance level I really want. I'm so used to my 99 XJ which has great brakes.

As far as the brakes go, I had the rear hard lines replaced along with the height valve a year ago. I mean they work, just not to the performance level I really want. I'm so used to my 99 XJ which has great brakes.

I did the same with my rear lines, then just removed the height sensing valve from the equation. Big improvement. Just be aware of it when you don't have anything in the bed.

Where did you find a new height valve???

+2 On the '95-'96 XJ Booster (WJ booster is another option too)

I have a '95 XJ booster and combined with the bypassed valve, it stops like a modern car.

We'll see what Bill at SVE says the next time I get it serviced. Which will likely be for a new booster and master. I think if this was a trail rig I'd yank the height valve no problem but it does its job when hauling, I've found.