Made the news.

Automan2164

Almost forgot. Made the news. Local paper was doing an article on Public Works departments picking up the slack from the economy. The paper came and interviewed my boss about steps we take in the maintenance dept to keep up with our older fleet. Since now we don't have the money to replace things that should have been years ago. I'm the dude working on the squad car.

http://ssm.nwherald.com/northwest-heral ... the-fleet/

Here's the actual article. Decent read.

http://www.nwherald.com/articles/2010/0 ... /index.xml

Rob L. :cheers:

Excess hammering on the wheel mounting w. the BF hammer gun. Makes me cringe to see that. :(

Only kidding Rob-man. I'm sure they are calibrated for exactly the precise lug nut torque value. :cheers: But y'all have no $$? Maybe calibrating the torque tools periodically budget item isn't there? :D

Just sayin'

Excess hammering on the wheel mounting w. the BF hammer gun. Makes me cringe to see that. :(

Only kidding Rob-man. I'm sure they are calibrated for exactly the precise lug nut torque value. :cheers: But y'all have no $$? Maybe calibrating the torque tools periodically budget item isn't there? :D

Just sayin'

If you notice in the video he is using what they call a torque stick to torque the lug nuts on the police car. A torque stick twists when the correct amount of torque is achieved. There are different torque sticks for different vehicles.

WOW !! A movie-TV star. Kin i have yer autograph?

Reminds me when we were on manuevers at Ft Carson in Feb 1954. We were going to make the highest mass drop ever done at that high of an altitude. The whole smear, 900troops Heavy trucks, artillery, etc. Since I was from Pueblo, 30 mile S of Ft Carson the local TV was making a big deal of the Local kid. Filmed over 10 minutes of me prepping a M38A1 commo jeep for air drop. That night for the 6PM news the whole family, mine and my Future wifes were jammed in the living room, about 14 people. Came the big moment, The loading of A/C, The drop, the recovery. Not one scene of me. They cut everything out. Talk about a let down.

Wow Rob........Ya got your 15 minutes of fame :banana:

Yea, I was wondering about them extra hits with the impact, seen the torque sticks, but.......still wondering..........you do hit them with a torque clicker after......don't ya, on the left side, after you roll 100 miles on them :hmm:

You should know if you on the news working.........we were going to check out all them small details :D

Otherwise, nice to see you at work, and keeping the fleet rolling.

very cool rob

wow, suddenly everyone turns wrenches for a living :nuts: don't worry about how rob installed a wheel. there's no need to use a torque wrench after torquing wheels down with a torque stick :nuts: . and yes, they need to be calibrated to your gun, big deal, or that is, your gun needs to be set to it.

i saw a thread somewhere, not sure if it was here, with all sorts of people going on and on about impact guns, and wheels, and blah blah blah. and how this is so bad, or that. it was nuts, none of them were certified technicians. i just bit my lip and shook my head. that torque stick, with the proper setting for that gun, can be hammered on that wheel all day long, it won't let it exceed the torque. its a torsion bar that only allows so much torque, just like any other torsion bar, on a tank, or on a gm truck.

and yes, in the wrong hands, certain tools are dangerous, this is true of most anything.

don't worry about rob and his tools :thumbsup:

soapbox.gif over. proceed :D

Before I even start this response to Dave's post, I want to make it very clear that it has nothing to do with Rob's video. I have lots of respect for Rob and know he knows. :D

Nobody's worried Dave, as you pointed out many times with your frequent use of the :nuts: smilie. You don't have to be a certified mechanic or turn wrenches for a living (as you always point out that is what you do and everyone else is an idiot) to know it's wrong to see some dumbass certified technician cranking away with an air hammer or torque stick that hasn't been calibrated since purchased ten years ago because of economic cutbacks or apathy/ignorance by the dealership or an independent shop. Not so serious in the automotive industry, maybe a busted or stripped wheel stud or whatever. The certified mechanic does what he does with the tools he is given; it's not his fault if something happens because he is given non-accurate torque tools to work with.

I worked in a USN military class IV standards cal lab for many years, where we calibrated the torque tool standards (among many other criteria) that were used by lower cal labs in the field (carriers and shore-based labs, etc.) to locally cal their tools used for aircraft and missile applications. W/o going into detail, this was serious work and critical to the safety of the pilots and war fighters.

Much higher level than you'll ever see Dave, but proper calibrated tools are mandatory and proper training in their use is critical. So don't go ASSuming that a certified technician knows all and everyone else is a dumbass.

It's obvious you take your work seriously; I respect that. But there's a lot of "certified" clowns out there that do not, and that's what I'm talkin' about mate.

honestly i was more concerned about how no matter what gets posted, someone is an expert on how, something irrelevant to the thread, isn't right. and it wasn't directed at anyone.

and no where did i talk about myself in any of it, nor do i make a habit of it.

i appreciate you saying that though, because if i do bring myself up it is subconscious. i'm gonna try to remember that. i don't think people would say i go around talking about myself, i don't roll that way.

but it is funny that you bash me for talking about what i do, and the next paragraph you do the same :nuts: < joke :rotf:

all in good fun :D

Agree Dave, and I know you are passionate about your work and I certainly wish all auto techs were like you. But as in any profession there are bad apples who don't give a damn and give the good ones like you a bad rep. I apologize for my remarks. It's that stupid :nuts: smiley that always gets to me when I've had a few Millers. :cheers:

:rotf: no apology needed, i've had a head cold for a weak and i'm pissy myself

the best lesson i've ever learned is i don't know as much as i think i do. as long as you keep that attitude, you'll keep learning. when i thought i knew it all, that kinda makes it hard to learn.