HELP MJ won't crank over

89 4.0 AW4.. When I turn the key all power comes on but when I turn to start position nothing happens. Everything stays on but just no crank. Batt and cables are all in good shape, could it possibly be the ignition switch? It could be the starter but it didn't show any signs of failing.

Kyle,

Hi from your neighbor in Washington County!

One trick I've always used to see if the problem is the starter or not is the following.

Get a hammer. Regular framing/drywall hammer will work fine.

Jack the truck up/Put the truck up on ramps.

Have someone try to start the engine. While they're trying to start the engine, gently tap the starter with the hammer.

Just don't beat on it too hard, don't want to damage the starter.

If the truck turns over while you're tapping on the starter with a hammer, then your starter needs replaced/rebuilt.

If the truck does not turn over while tapping on the starter with a hammer, then I would start troubleshooting a possible electric problem. Make sure the starter is properly connected, then troubleshoot your way from there. The ignition switch should probably be your last resort, just because it's such a pain to disassemble the steering column.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: By the way, when my starter went out a year back, I had no warning signs. It just stopped working. Luckily I keep a hammer in the truck, just in case.

Before you go banging on your starter, try using a remote starter switch to bypass ignition switch. Could be nuetral start switch. Did you try to start in Park and Nuetral? Good luck.

This is a good suggestion. I've never considered this for diagnosing starter problems because usually if I have a starter go bad, I'm in a parking lot somewhere. :wall:

Thanks guys. How would I use a jumper wire to test the switches? It did this to me last night but I was able to start it again by switching gears via the shifter on the column. Unfortunatly that isn't working now. BeepBeep where are you located?

Ya know, it's strange, but I've had my '90 since it was brand new, and that li'l sucker has done this "no crank" thing just every now and again since it was new. The first time it happened, I just happened to take the plastic cover off all the wires and relays on the right inner fender and in the process of fishing around for any clue as to why, I moved wires around. When I tried again, it started right up. Ever since then, on those rare occasions that it feels like being persnickety, I just slap it on top of that plastic cover and she starts right up. I've just about decided she just likes to be spanked every now and then :rotfl2:

I put it in nuetral and nothing.. tried switching from D to Park and N to Park still the same. I am now leaning towards the starter. Can I just put a screwdriver between the two connection points on the starter and see if it spins?

u can but u can risk to have some deadly shock so i would just check all connections, power, ground, and try check the starter solenoid. you can remove it easily by just remove two bolts and battery cable. make sure your disconnect the battery first before touch the starter.

and i agree to check the crankshaft sensor also try check the shift linkage from shifter to transmission (tr-transmission range)

A bad CPS cannot cause a no crank situation.

Pull the starter. Take it into an O'reillys or any other parts store that tests them. It's free.

Earlier this year I did a motor swap on my brother's XJ. He's had that truck for 5 years. Not once did he have a starting problem. Once the motor swap was done, it wouldn't start. Took the starter into O'reillys, it was shot. Could barely turn itself over. Put a reman starter in, and she turned right over.

Starter it is.... Gotta put my chemical suit on to remove it...lol from 2 tranny lines busting and an old oil leak, AND an old coolant leak the starter was left with a 1/4" of slime on it and everything around it.

• 1 month later...
A bad CPS cannot cause a no crank situation.

Pull the starter. Take it into an O'reillys or any other parts store that tests them. It's free.

Earlier this year I did a motor swap on my brother's XJ. He's had that truck for 5 years. Not once did he have a starting problem. Once the motor swap was done, it wouldn't start. Took the starter into O'reillys, it was shot. Could barely turn itself over. Put a reman starter in, and she turned right over.

i thought if bad cps can possible cause no starting because cps can indicate the TDC of no. 1 piston before pcm control the ignition system?

but nvm i didnt read that there no CRANK. my bad